• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Window Media Center Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

I have all my movies saved to my HTPC and always watch them downstairs on the big screen. Well tonight I decided to watch a movie upstairs on my main rig.

So I shared the 3 drives I have movies on. WD Green's.
I also mapped the drives on my main rig.

Movies show up fine through WMC. But once I click play for a certain movie everything gets super laggy.
Im on a 35/35mb connection and everything in the house is wireless.

Anything I can do to make it not so laggy?
Or is just giant file reads over wireless networks just a bad idea? lol

Thanks!

The wireless connection might cause an issue, but you can easily test to see if it is at fault. If you try to play the movies through VLC (or another media player) across the network, does it do the same thing? If so, copy them locally to see if it does it as well.

I don't mean copy all the movies over. Just do a single one.

If it is at the beginning, it may be loading the rest of the file. What does the network usage look like when it has issues and then when it works?

Well im still having issues with this.
Starting the movie seems to be the problem. I can get to the title screen fine, but once I click play it will loop back to the title screen.
Network usage is ~17% while title screen is being shown.

Maybe I need to let it sit at the title screen longer???

Attachments

• msc.JPG
    msc.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 35
Does it do the same thing if you copy the file locally? You could try another media center, such as XBMC.

Ok so I tried VLC player. Still stutters/hangs. Tried copying the movie to a local HD but the transfer speed is insanely slow.

I dont understand this at all. Yes both computers are wireless, but they are 25' apart and the router is between them... :bang head

Attachments

• strange.JPG
    strange.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 21
If the copy is that slow, that is likely your problem. Depending on how the video is encoded, that may or may not be enough bandwidth to run normally.

So why is the copy that slow? I dont see how a 54mb/s connection only transfers at just over half a mb/s.

All my movies are in .vob format.

No idea. My wireless network gets a blazing 0.9 MB/sec. I never needed more than that, so I didn't care to troubleshoot it.

Well for some reason XBMC works very well.
There is a slight pause before playing a movie, but after that it is very smooth.

Not sure why XBMC works well while WMC and VLC dont but who cares lol.

Thanks Thideras :thup:

Back