• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD6950 to HD6970 softmod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you flash a pre-modded 6950 BIOS from the techpowerup VGA BIOS database?

You want to use a pre-modded 6950 NOT a 6970 BIOS.
If you flashed a modded 6950 BIOS and the shaders are recognized, you're done (and good work :) ) but if you flashed a 6970 BIOS you should re-do the flash with the 6950 version preferably from your card's manufacturer. Techpowerup should have modded reference versions for basically every manufacturer in their VGA database.

This i dont understand, it seems to be running fine on the Gigabyte HD6970 2GB bios.

Edit:
Now its set back with HD6950 bios and 1536shaders, but now im limited in overclock settings in CCC, is their another way to get past 840mhz gpu clock?

Last edited:
Use MSI Afterburner and unlock the overclock settings.

in the afterburner.ini fille

There should be a section:

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1

This i dont understand, it seems to be running fine on the Gigabyte HD6970 2GB bios.
Like Janus67 was saying, the 6970's have different VRAM chips and memory voltage, so it's possible to kill 6950's with the 6970 BIOS installed (which is why you want to use a modded 6950 BIOS).

I also use Afterburner, so unlocking that with the instructions above will let you overclock without restrictions, and it enables custom fan profiles and voltage controls. I think the only thing Afterburner can't manage is Powertune, which might be needed for higher overclocks (though I don't think it's a great idea to push too much vcore with the stock cooler anyhow). CCC can manage Powertune though and they should be relatively interoperable (I don't use the CCC so I can't verify this).

E: Looks like you can edit the registry to unlock CCC limits:
http://www.overclock.net/12819472-post47.html

I'd recommend using HWiNFO64 (or 32 depending on your OS) for monitoring card temperatures since it can see the VREG temps and the core/memIO/shaderIO temperatures.

Edit: As stated, I don't use CCC so I have no idea how to do it. Just linked it because it's supposedly possible to do.
VVV

Last edited:
I would just use MSI Afterburner of Sapphire Trixx and skip all of this registry edit stuff.

Back