• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first Custom Loop!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kskwerl

Some this is my first custom loop. I had a thermaltake 2U all in one kit back when I had a Phenom 9850. Well here's my gear. This is just a single loop for my i7 2600k. I had a Meghalens Rev B and wasn't happy with the temps I was getting at the OC I wanted. That is what started this..

Radiator: Swiftech MCR420-QP Quiet Power 4X120mm - Matte Black ( 8 Yate Loon 120x25mm D12SH-12 High Speed - Black (88 CFM, 40 dBA) in a push/pull)
Pump: Sidewinder Custom MCP655 / Laing D5 with G 1/4 Threads
Res: EK-Multioption RES X2 - 150 Advanced
Block: EK Supreme HF Full Copper - Easy Mount
Tubing: Tygon B-44-4X Food, Milk and Dairy 3/8in. ID 5/8in. OD Laboratory Tubing #
Fittings: Enzotech Matte Black Compression Fitting for 3/8in. x 5/8in. Tubing x8

Now I have a NZXT Phantom, I saw one guy on the forum who had figured a new way to mount a 360 rad ontop/inside the case. I wasn't really comfortable with doing this and having all that water inside my comp so I build a stand for my rad/pump/res out of unistrut. I have this stuff lying around at work and a coworker helped me cut it and put it all together. Props to him as all this equipment would prob just be sitting on my desk right now. Even though it looks pretty beefy I am really happy with it.

Attachments

• IMAG0144.jpg
    IMAG0144.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMAG0146.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG0149.jpg
    IMAG0149.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMAG0150.jpg
    IMAG0150.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG0151.jpg
    IMAG0151.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMAG0155.jpg
    IMAG0155.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMAG0153.jpg
    IMAG0153.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0156.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
I also bought a Scythe Kaze Black Q12 12-Channel Fan Controller for the fans. This this was around 25 USD, idk what I expected but it def does not seem to control the rpm's at all. I'll replace that later though. I also hooked up a stand alone 400 watt PSU for just the pump/fans/fan controller.

On a side note, I seem to have a massive amount of bubbles in my res. All very small bubbles maybe the size of a pin head but there is a lot of them. As I'm new to this could anyone tell me if this is normal or how I can get rid of them, even what I may have done to cause this.

Loop order is Res>Pump>Rad>CPU>Res

Last edited:
Congrats on your first loop :)

Shame that fan controller didn't work for you. 8 high speed yate loons can't be easy on the ears. You could maybe post some pics of how you had the fan controller connected up, just incase we can spot something wrong :shrug:

Don't worry to much about the tiny bubles. I usually let my loop run for a good few hours with no cap on the res, althought I'm not sure if leaving it off gets rid of the bubbles faster :shrug: I usually go around tapping/flicking the tubing a rad for a few minutes just to loosen up any bubbles that decide to be a Klingon :rolleyes:. Usually gets them shifted quite abit faster :)

Give it a day, perfectly normal. They will poof in time.

Keep the res almost 100% full. It will drop 1/2" or so the first day.

What the diff between the Starship Enterprise and Toilet Paper?

Thye both circle Uranus and wipe out Klingons.

Congrats on your first loop :)

Shame that fan controller didn't work for you. 8 high speed yate loons can't be easy on the ears. You could maybe post some pics of how you had the fan controller connected up, just incase we can spot something wrong :shrug:

Don't worry to much about the tiny bubles. I usually let my loop run for a good few hours with no cap on the res, althought I'm not sure if leaving it off gets rid of the bubbles faster :shrug: I usually go around tapping/flicking the tubing a rad for a few minutes just to loosen up any bubbles that decide to be a Klingon :rolleyes:. Usually gets them shifted quite abit faster :)

Thanks man! I'm really happy with how everything went, now I'm sitting at 4.6 Ghz with vcore @ 1.340v LLC Level 7. Under load it raises to 1.44v with 100% load. I'm still testing lower voltages tho. Temps never go above 70C under load. The yate loons are suprisingly quiet to me compared to the 3000rpm Ultra Kaze's I had. I'm used to loud fans so these are actually quiet nice to me. I'll post some pics tomorrow of the fan controller. The problem with the res is the way I have it set up and how full it is, I don't think I will be able to run it with a port hole off. Pictures will explain.

Give it a day, perfectly normal. They will poof in time.

Keep the res almost 100% full. It will drop 1/2" or so the first day.

What the diff between the Starship Enterprise and Toilet Paper?

Thye both circle Uranus and wipe out Klingons.

I mean it's been 24 hours since the loop was installed but I def saw a drop in the res, maybe not half and a lot of the bubbles are gone but there's still a bunch. Let me take some pics.

Here's some pictures, it's daisy chain mania or here with these fans.

Also check out the res, think I could switch the top tube to another port on the bottom side? so I could run it with a port open on the top.

Also that's the 400 watt corsair PSU that I'm using strictly for the fans/fan controller/pump.

Attachments

• IMAG0159.jpg
    IMAG0159.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMAG0160.jpg
    IMAG0160.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMAG0161.jpg
    IMAG0161.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMAG0164.jpg
    IMAG0164.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMAG0163.jpg
    IMAG0163.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG0162.jpg
    IMAG0162.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0165.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 142
Red is going in from the CPU block and green is from res to pump.

Attachments

• IMAG0159.jpg
    IMAG0159.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 145
kk, fix it. It has no bubbles in the tubes now just the res. Also its a lot less noisy.

Crazy setup. I'd be afraid I'd walk by in a drunken stupor and fall into it or something.

Grats tho, I can't wait to get my loop assembled.

Crazy setup. I'd be afraid I'd walk by in a drunken stupor and fall into it or something.

Grats tho, I can't wait to get my loop assembled.

lol I do fear this but this whole stand made of unistrut is pretty hefty. My cat was investigating it yesterday and I was worried about that but he's bored with it now.

Also on a side note, i got the fan controller to work. I had the 3 pin hooked into the controller and the 4 pin molex connected to the power supply, looks like I only need the 3 pin to the controller. Now I can adjust speeds accordingly.:facepalm:

Ok so check this out, I am at 4.6ghz. vcore is 1.345 in BIOS LLC level 7. I can pass 500 intel burn test on standard with threads set to 8. But when I set memory to high, I can't even pass 5 tests. What gives? I have 4 gbs of ram. I can run 14 hours of all 3 different Prime95 tests.

Ok so check this out, I am at 4.6ghz. vcore is 1.345 in BIOS LLC level 7. I can pass 500 intel burn test on standard with threads set to 8. But when I set memory to high, I can't even pass 5 tests. What gives? I have 4 gbs of ram. I can run 14 hours of all 3 different Prime95 tests.

Dunno, now you can ask in the Intel CPU section since your temps and watercooling is working great.:)

Back