• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Power Supply Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jamasen

hi, some time next month im going to buy a NEW computer and iv found everything I want accept for a "power supply"

im not sure what wattage I will need, I have been on power supply calculators but im still not sure. :shrug:

what PSU would you recommend for me?

67qdd4.png.jpg

(PS: im only installing 12GB of the RAM)

Thank You! :)

you could run all that off of a 550-650, that is why i would get an 800-850 :) 5 years later it will will be problem free, and the cost difference would be minimal. get one of the new high efficency models.

you might want to research problems that can exist with the GTX590, could be very important
you need to research difference between x58 and z68, could be a little bit important.
after spending 2k+ on a whole computer, leaving out a fully regulated UPS , is like ordering a car without tires :) a computer cant go anywhere without power.

i know very little about all that, but those are things that pop into my head.

Last edited:
You got a pretty large pair, Psychogeec, to run a 590 off a 650W PSU... OP I would reccomend Corsair 850TX/HX/AX. There is a link to a guide in my signature as well.

With that budget, I would also get a new SB chip (2600k) and Z68 (not z58 like Geec typoed).

I always liked and found pc power and cooling to make excellent power supplies. I have had mine a 610 and it runs quit and I have ran it 24/7 for most of the time downloading. IT still runs smooth. Only problem is it is not modular. Please for your own sake get a modular one. A buddy puts these in his rigs he runs in the Philipines and they work great for him too.

Comparatively slower SSD, slow HDD, overpriced last-gen CPU, retail OS, overpriced cooler, overpriced GPU.

I got carried away and just did a whole build :p. Gaming-wise, this will kick that systems butt in performance. Comes out to $3322 total.
untitled.JPG

Knufire, looks like detroit could make a killing assembling computers, but did the engine just not fit in the blueprints ?
(how much more for the cpu?)

Ooops, didn't see it got cut out. 2600K would be $315, this is all in AUD since I noticed the OP was using PC Case Gear. It was included is the $3322 total.

thanks for the help!

"Knufire" i used some of your recommend parts and "Earthdog" your PSU guide was very helpfull

im going with 1155 Socket, 2600k i7.

im not much of a computer genius but what do you think of the new list? is 750w enough?

34qwoy1.png.jpg

For one 590, that PSU is a great fit. :)

If you need to save some cash, you can back down a notch or few on the mobo. Unless you are an extreme overclocker, you dont really need a UD7. The UD5 would be plenty and save you $100.

For one 590, that PSU is a great fit. :)

If you need to save some cash, you can back down a notch or few on the mobo. Unless you are an extreme overclocker, you dont really need a UD7. The UD5 would be plenty and save you $100.

^^

This is good advice. I'm not a "hard core" overclocker and the top end motherboards would be a waste of money for me too. The intermediate level priced boards have what I need. I use that money saved to buy top-end components such as a power supply.

You also may want to reconsider 4 x 4Gb RAM's and buy 2 x 4GB. Sixteen GB is to the extreme and probably not necessary.

Question, why are you buying the retail version of Windows? You should be buying the OEM. Also, for most people, Professional offers no benefit over Home Premium.

yeah i didn't know what the OEM versions of win7 was untill about an hour ago after doing some research, so ill change that to OEM.

also ill do what "earthdog" said and downgrade the board a bit.

thanks alot!

Also, read up on the differences between Z68 and P67. Z68 has a lot more features, but no need to spend more for a Z68 board if you don't think you're going to use them.

IMO a UD3P or UD3H is enough for most people.

Back