• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Cant I Burn To Dual Layer Discs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I have some DataWrite 8.5 Gb Dual Layer discs and I have only ever managed to record twice successfully thing is both times each program said it failed to burn properly yet when I eject and put back in it reads them fine.

Nero 7 would never let me burn a video over 4.7Gb onto a DL disc when creating my own movie it would say "Cant burn to this type of media", but now I use Ashampoo Burning Studio 10 and again it failed to verify and said the files dont match yet it will read and I can play my music.

I do have a Ext 500GB Seagate Caddy with back-ups but I like to keep a 2nd and 3rd back-up if I need too as you never know when I HDD may fail. My Samsung DVD-RW drive is 2 years old bruns read perfectly never used Lightscribe more than 5 times over the course.

I have also tried 2 other brands of DL media.

It's possible that your burner is out the door. My DVD/CD has simlar issues. The units just give depending on how much you use them.

What media have you tried? Have you tried verbatim?

I have tried Datawrite, Kodak & a super market branded disc my burner will burn to any 4.7GB disc just always fails on Dual Layer discs I was considering in buying a new drive.

Not sure if Samsung are that good to be honest

Sounds similar to mine that died but it was reversed, burned fine but reading dual layer disks was a no go. Never burned dual layer so don't know but with drives so cheap it might be worth a shot to see if it fixes the issue.

Back