• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Webcam for Security

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

I have a good webcam and a microphone that I never use. But now I want to use my PC for security - specifically to record audio / video any time there is movement or loud sounds, or record 24/7 if that can't be done.

I've found a few free programs but don't mind paying for a program.

Is anyone here using their webcam for security?

Last edited:
Not yet, but once I move into the new place I'm buying I'll likely set something up as well.

I'd design something where footage is saved in the cloud so that a thief cannot also steal your evidence. I'd also try to implement some sort of alerting system; maybe have it use google voice to dial your number or send a text message. A web server streaming the footage would also let you view what's happening from your phone.

Shortly after starting this thread, I coincidentally installed iSpy v3.1.2 for free from Cnet downloads. It looks quite impressive. I had to enable my on board sound since my sound card doesn't have a mic IN.

I'm going to see what I can do with this while recording to my local drive. My PC is secure so I will use this to monitor other access areas. But if recording eats up too much hard drive, I will look to the clouds.

Depends on how its set up, usually only records if movement is detected and didn't eat a lot of space when I ran it for a couple days.

Had it going to an external drive, a flash drive would even work. Run a wire and hide it somewhere then hehe (maybe screw one to the floor or something out of site)

Could not get the iSpy to record and play audio. Didn't try video with the webcam. Searching for a new program now.

ispy works great on our Windows Server 2008 R2-64bit box. Please note, 1Time, that you must right click on the camera and select "record". Video and audio files will then be stored on the drive(s)/director(ies)y of your choice using your chosen codec. Great configuration options for local storage; our preferred solution.

Thanks for the link, turbohans! This will be replacing our aging stand-alone DVR. Now to go shopping for IP cams...

hafa, operation of iSpy seemed pretty straight forward. Right click, record. Right click, stop recording. I made recordings, but got no playback of what was recorded. Maybe some settings were off or maybe iSpy is not able to record audio independent of video. I will give it a another try later on - as I have yet to find an alternative program worth trying.

I use iSpy as well. To remote log in and for streaming, I use FreeDNS and my own personal website. An easy way would be to setup an FTP account and have the cameras upload images when motion was activated. I found that taking a snapshot resulted in much better image clarity. You can also have it take a series of shots every second and upload on schedule.

ispy works great on our Windows Server 2008 R2-64bit box. Please note, 1Time, that you must right click on the camera and select "record". Video and audio files will then be stored on the drive(s)/director(ies)y of your choice using your chosen codec. Great configuration options for local storage; our preferred solution.

Thanks for the link, turbohans! This will be replacing our aging stand-alone DVR. Now to go shopping for IP cams...

Cheap USB web-cams work well too, if you can get USB to where you need one. IP cams work well with it too though, I tested that with a Droid 2 running an IP-cam app.

But yea, awesome software!! I just wish there was a way around paying for internet accessibility for people that know how to host their own websites.
Other than that everything else is top rate.

hafa, operation of iSpy seemed pretty straight forward. Right click, record. Right click, stop recording. I made recordings, but got no playback of what was recorded. Maybe some settings were off or maybe iSpy is not able to record audio independent of video. I will give it a another try later on - as I have yet to find an alternative program worth trying.

Not sure what exactly you mean here. there should be a bunch of small mp4's in the folder you have it set to save too.

Last edited:
Does Ispy allow for recording for lets say 8-9 hours at a time?

I believe it will 'loop' for as long as space allows that you allot for storage on it. It does split the files up though, but they are labeled by time and that would not matter in a civil case.

so with a 2tb external I would think maybe a month. ;)

On low quality wide screen; logitech software gets about .92mb per min. I guess I can up the quality... I think I will give Ispy a try as well.

Anyone know of a good playback program that allows for high speed visual fast forward? VLC perhaps?

vlc can do that up to 16x I believe, keep in mind you can set iSpy to only record motion also ;)

(so if nothing is moving, it's not recording)

Why would you need that much time? If you set the motion/sound detection settings and disable recording when you are there, you shouldn't need to store a month before looping back.

I busted my little sister and her friends smoking pot and going through my stuffs. Using a xbox360 webcam and my hacbox360

Why would you need that much time? If you set the motion/sound detection settings and disable recording when you are there, you shouldn't need to store a month before looping back.

Why not ;) would be great if on vacation or something. Or what if it takes that long to figure out you got jacked?

I worked at a SSA gas station that would do around a 3mo loop, they switched VHS tapes everyday an rotated them into a archive.

Yes, but they probably have the cameras running all the time. iSpy (and most of the other software) will allow you to set it up to have the camera running, but only record when there is movement. You can also set it up to email you when it starts recording. So, unless there is a cat that is moving aroound a lot, the amount of space needed is minimal.

Yes, but they probably have the cameras running all the time. iSpy (and most of the other software) will allow you to set it up to have the camera running, but only record when there is movement. You can also set it up to email you when it starts recording. So, unless there is a cat that is moving aroound a lot, the amount of space needed is minimal.

You are very correct! I just like a lot of (overkill) headroom.

Back