• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 1 GHZ Duron to 1.24 - HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lvflyer

I flashed the bios with the OC bios. I can overclock at 112/112
(1.12 GHZ) but I can not boot at 124/124. I saw someone on the
CPU database just overclocked at 124/124 with only closing the bridge to up the voltage to 1.85 - I did that. What could be holding me back ?

My system is: K7S5A (System is a CPU Builder's kit from Sam's)
1 GHZ Morgan Duron
128 or 256 P133 memory (tried both)
300w KeyMouse Electronics PX-300W Rev 2.03 PS
S3 Savage 4 32 MB AGP Video Card
CPU fan with Artic Silver Compound

What should be my settings in BIOS for memory,etc. ??
PLEASE help - I want to make 1.2 GHZ OR I will be forced to by
another Shuttle A31 for $80 - (DDR though)

Thank-you in advance.

When you say you can not boot at 124/124 what exactly do you mean.

No Post?...or is it posting and then hanging while booting up to windows?

Also check you PSU if you can and see what your voltages are. It could be underpowered or something like that.

Good Luck

I had the same problem, would not post at 124/124 using generic pc133's, however when i used pc2400xms corsair ddr's...booted with no probs...
I'm curious if anyone has ever posted on pc133's?

Dragonbud said:
I had the same problem, would not post at 124/124 using generic pc133's, however when i used pc2400xms corsair ddr's...booted with no probs...
I'm curious if anyone has ever posted on pc133's?

Dragonbud, YES, I have. Posted just fine at 124/124 with pc133. But check this out. I put in pc100, and it still posted and runs just fine at 124/124.

Ivflyer, and everyone else for that matter,

If you find the answer to this PLEASE let me know. Here's my experience, and, I'm sorry to say, it offers you not much help.

I have 2 k7s5a boards, both with 1 GHz morgan core durons.
Both have bridges connected to max out the core voltage.
Both have the same hsf, thermaltake volcano 5.

The first one had 256 meg pc133, generic, and a 300 watt power supply. It works at 124/124 with absolutely no problem.

The other one had 128 meg generic pc100 and a 200 watt power supply and would not go over 112/112. It would post, but get windows errors.

So, I thought, it's probably not enough power, so I put in a 300 watt power supply. The other one is working with a 300 watt power supply. Well, it got further, but still had windows errors.

So, I figure it must be the pc100 ram. So I swap the ram between the 2. The one working at 124/124 gets the 128 meg pc100 and the one working at 112/112 gets the 256 meg pc133. Guess what. Made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE! The one still works just fine at 124/124. The other will not work above 112/112.

Explain that to me. It's obviously not the ram.

The 300 watt power supply I stuck in the one running at 112/112 is good. It came out of a tbird 1.4 @ 1.533 box (133 * 11.5). So that shouldn't be the problem. But it's the last thing left to check/do. I already swapped that ram. Maybe I should swap the power supplies and see what happens, but I suspect the result will be the same.

Maybe one just has the YATTA curse? Perhaps a little chicken blood would do the trick.

Oh, yeah, side note. The 200 watt power supply is running the 1.4 @ 1.4 tbird just fine, and it has an AGP video card.

The 2 duron boxes have 4 meg pci video cards.

Correction, they are 2 meg video cards. ATI mach64. But they are not exactly the same.

Last edited:
Here's another thought. I wish I could get a 24% oc out of my 1.4 tbirds.

1.4 * 1.24 = 1.736

That would be a wonderful oc.

Well, I did it. I figured out what was holding it back. Both durons are at 1.24 now.

But, since obviously no one is interested, I'll spare you details.

What was it? I think I'm going to get one of these boards...

Please, please tell us (I've been in suspense ever since I first read this post 15 minutes ago...)

Please Nedclocker let me know what you fiquired out to get 124 - I AM INTERESTED !!

Thank-you

Loud said:
I want to know! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease ... ? :D
Sure. I take it that you picked up one or two. Good deal.
One of them went 1.24, no problem. The other one didn't - I tried swaping out everything that you would normally think of. Then I got a new vid card for the one at 1.24, so I figured I'd try putting that vid card in the 1.12. Boom - right straight up to 1.24 with no problem. Go figure.
BUT, it didn't last. The next morning when I got up, it had the BSOD. Yep, it died. Can't get it to go back to 1.24 again, even w/ 400 watt Antec ps. Go figure. Any more questions, ask. I will try to help. Good luck.

NedClocker said:

Sure. I take it that you picked up one or two. Good deal.
One of them went 1.24, no problem. The other one didn't - I tried swaping out everything that you would normally think of. Then I got a new vid card for the one at 1.24, so I figured I'd try putting that vid card in the 1.12. Boom - right straight up to 1.24 with no problem. Go figure.
BUT, it didn't last. The next morning when I got up, it had the BSOD. Yep, it died. Can't get it to go back to 1.24 again, even w/ 400 watt Antec ps. Go figure. Any more questions, ask. I will try to help. Good luck.

Yep ... two sitting right here <pat pat> waiting for my pocketbook to catch up to memory prices. :D

So ... what sort of vid card is in the fast box? Any possible 'splaination for the different behavior? Do you think it's the MoBo or the vid cards?

Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Back