• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Internet Without Hardline

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

My father is going to be staying at an extended stay hotel for quite a while for his new position and needs an internet connection.
The hotel does have internet via ethernet cable but he said the connection is worse than dial up.

So Im wondering if it is possible to have internet service without a hardline. Obviously he cant have FIOS installed in his hotel room lol.

I thought about having him try to tether his Driod to his laptop. But up until last week he had never had a "smart phone" so I think that is out of the question lol.

The solution would need to be fairly simple as I will not be able to physically help him with any of it.

Thanks!

tethering sounds smart, there would be some setup and to test if it would work, then it would be just a matter of clicking a couple of buttons to get it restarted.

either that or its some 3G pcmia or usb card, which could cost way more money.
even tethering could cost data package stuff, if you dont already have that in the package. and some phone services like to try and charge extra for allowing tether.

simple is to pay :) he knows that. just walk into the wireless phone sales place and they can stuff a wireless connection on, and even set it up for him, then hope it works any faster than dial-up in the specific location. (good to check a 3g map)

He has really good 3g coverage in his area. So Im thinking about just having him pay the monthy fee to turn his droid into a 3g hotspot.

Back