• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Ivy Bridge Rumors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wish you luck, but the odds are against you. Most often pre-release boards are incompatible, particularly when it comes to Intel who deliberately make things incompatible to force more spending.

I wish you luck, but the odds are against you. Most often pre-release boards are incompatible, particularly when it comes to Intel who deliberately make things incompatible to force more spending.

:welcome:

The ES chips are already out there. Though Intel could change the chips and insert some code I do not think that will happen.

GB I am sure has plenty of ES IB chips to test with and if the pins line up, the electrical can be made compatible and the chips run on the board it works.

GB and many others have made old chipsets work with new processors.

If you want I can send them an email addressing your concerns. It would be a very bad move on the part of any manufacturer to have to replace or refund money for doards that did not do what they said they would.

This also means that Intel has told manufactures that the Chips are good, fab is good and the design is finalised at this point. Could see these chips earlier than I hoped.

I'm not entirely up to speed on IB, but are they making a Socket 1155 IB? And Gigabyte is saying its compatible with thier P67/Z68 boards?

I'm not entirely up to speed on IB, but are they making a Socket 1155 IB? And Gigabyte is saying its compatible with thier P67/Z68 boards?

Yes there will be a 1155 socket Ivy Bridge. Not sure if they're compatible with current boards because there will be a 7-series chipset coming with it... :shrug:
maybe "compatible with a performance discount" ? :cry:

GB and many others have made old chipsets work with new processors.

I have a 965P board running a Wolfdale E5700 which it was never intended to do, and it runs it great. I agree that Gigabyte at least is good at keeping their hardware useful with newer chips.

Still trying to decide if I should pickup a Z68 board now ahead of the 22nm chips or wait it out.

I have a 965P board running a Wolfdale E5700 which it was never intended to do, and it runs it great. I agree that Gigabyte at least is good at keeping their hardware useful with newer chips.

Still trying to decide if I should pickup a Z68 board now ahead of the 22nm chips or wait it out.

Either that or wait to see the numbers between the SB-E socket 2011 and the IB 1155.

I already have a GigabyteZ so this was a bonus.

I have read in multiple places that Intel was going to make IB compatible with the present SB 1155 chipsets and boards, with only a bios update needed.

I might just have the codenames wrong, but last time I read up on it, SB-E was 1155 compatible (22nm SB tech) and IB (22nm IB tech) was on 2011. :shrug: I don't keep up with the rumor mill.

I might just have the codenames wrong, but last time I read up on it, SB-E was 1155 compatible (22nm SB tech) and IB (22nm IB tech) was on 2011. :shrug: I don't keep up with the rumor mill.

Yeah backward but the way some of the articles are written it is no wonder.

AFAIK SB-E will be 32nm. I believe it has been in development a bit longer than the IB and the major process work had been done when the IB got going good. It would be a waste of money to retool and shrink the SB-E this late in the game.

I could be wrong about that though:thup:

Wait wait wait. So if we're doing the TICK-TOCK, that makes sense. GT shrunk to 32nm and then SB was a new Design, then SB-E shrinks to 22nm and IB is a new Design. ;) Good stuff, Archer.

I thought that SB-E (enthusiast) is socket 2011 and based on SB 32nm silicon tech (tick) to be released 4th quarter.

IB (mainstream) is the 22nm die shrink (tock) to SB (mainstream) to be released next year.

SB-E (enthusiast) will also have 22nm die shrink (tock) ~ 1+ year after the intitial 32nm release.

I thought that SB-E (enthusiast) is socket 2011 and based on SB 32nm silicon tech (tick) to be released 4th quarter.

IB (mainstream) is the 22nm die shrink (tock) to SB (mainstream) to be released next year.

SB-E (enthusiast) will also have 22nm die shrink (tock) ~ 1+ year after the intitial 32nm release.

From everything I have read that sound in line with things (I do not know about the shrink). It is just that many articles mention 22nm and SB-E in the same paragraph. They are focusing on the IB and when they throw in the SB-E they just confuse the matter.

Wait for the first 22nm chips with 3-D transistors Archer, even if it requires a socket upgrade it'll be worth it. Tri-gate transistors are a revolutionary step in cpu manufacturing, the first time transistors have significantly been altered in decades.

If they end up actually keeping the 1155 socket for these new IvyBridge cpus, that would be quite nice of them!

Maybe the same will happen for the SB-E 2011 socket, ---> IB-E :O:O:O

Wait for the first 22nm chips with 3-D transistors Archer, even if it requires a socket upgrade it'll be worth it. Tri-gate transistors are a revolutionary step in cpu manufacturing, the first time transistors have significantly been altered in decades.

If I am not mistaken (I usually am mistaken but I am never wrong; just mistaken) the IB is the Tri-Gate.

I have ewo 1155 boards here and only one CPU:) When IB gets here I will get things going. Hell I dont need it I just want.

Back