• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HIS ATI Radeon HD 6950 IceQ X Turbo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dandaman

Registered
My recent plans to upgrade my computer have changed a bit and I was gunna wait a month or two to upgrade gfx card but a shop near me has a sale on at the moment and this card is the hihglight of it

I did want to crossfire 6950's in the close future and like I said I did intend on waiting another month or two to upgrade but this deal is too good tbh ... well that is if this card Is upto it

After some googling and youtubing I cant find much info on this exact card and when youtubing I find foreign videos which I cannot understandas I only speak english

Should I get one of these? is it worth it ? My current rig is in my sig (haha rhymes)

heres a link to the exact card(people are saying its fugly but I think it looks pretty cool)
If I did get one would it be worth getting another a few months down the line for crossfiring ? I intend on getting ready for Battlefield 3 and of course keep my system upto date for a while

Cheers guys

Dandaman

What resolution will you be gaming at? I would think that a 6950 would be able to keep up just fine with most settings on High for BF3 running at 1080p (1920x1080). If you plan to do eyefinity/multi-monitor at some point it wouldn't be a bad idea to get two.

1920 x 1080 but of course I dont just plan on playing bf3 lol just really what I wanan get reeady for. I'll be wanting to keep upto date for playing games and so on and with these cards this cheap it does tempt me to get 2 but of course if theres no point then I won't bother

The idea of crossfire came to mind when I decided I wanted to keep my rig solid for a while so I dont have to go out and buy another card sooner than I'd like to cos it doesn't come too cheap these days

Even if you overclocked the cpu considerably you still probably would not see a pair of 6950's in cross fire top out. Thats not to say it wouldn't be faster than a single card but just bottle necked some and not performing to its maximum potential IMO.

so just the 1?

I've never used x-fire before so unsure as to where the bottleneks would be but I know that x-fire in my current mobo would mean both cards at x8 seeing as one of the pci ports is x16 and the other is x8

I do plan on upgrading board but not right now, maybe in another month or so when I can make my mind up on which one lol

EDIT : I forgot to mention that I do intend on overclocking cpu when I eventually get my H80 and probably a new motherboard in the next coming month or two so that might make it a bit more worth while gettin 2 ?

Last edited:
The 6950 is a great card and will handle almost anything you throw at it without problems. I think for a single card solution its a very good option for you. If you upgrade later down the road to a better main and or get a decent overclock going a second 6950 will scale very well in crossfire and probably be a cheaper upgrade at that point in time.

Just for reference I had these two 4890's on a Q9550 @ 3.825GHz and when I upgraded my entire system to the current one in my sig running an i7-960 @ 4.0GHz my GPU score jumped up another 16% in 3DMV. Now imagine what a pair of 6950's are going to require to top out....

Cheers for the info

Looks like I will get the one card at the moment and get some overclocking done before I consider a second.... I will probably buy a second rather than buy another main card in the future just to save a bit of money really

EDIT : Forgot to mention new cpu cooler this weekend or maybe sooner so will probably be posting in the cpu section for some overclocking info (never really got into OC before but know its worth it)

Back