• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who uses Sickbeard, Couchpotato, or a similar alternative?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What media file automation apps are you using?

• Sickbeard

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Couchpotato

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Something else, explain below

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Nothing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
If you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about, these are popular media management apps. Their primary function is automating downloads, but they also do fancy stuff based on your preferences like renaming files, moving/organizing files, and helping you keep track of your media.

Sickbeard
Couchpotato

I'm most familiar with those two options, but I'm interested to see who else is using them, as well as alternatives that other people may use to automate their media files. Vote and let me know below.

In addition to the options above I also use sabnzbd. When it completes a download, it can also sort, rename, and it also can verify the archive is complete, extract the media from the archive, and remove any extra files which I do not want.

Disclaimer: We can talk about programs and how we use them, but keep it to yourself if you are downloading anything illegal. Talking about copyright infringement or illegal stuff is not permitted by the forum rules.

Last edited:
necro! lol was just searching sickbeard on the forums and found this :>

i use both sb and cp btw >.> should reopen the poll

figured id drop this here, if sickbeard isnt working so great or you are using sickrage, i have a better alternative... sonarr ive been using it for an hour and like it better than any alternatives out there that ive tried. sickrage has been terrible at finding tv show episodes lately and this thing has found all the shows that it was failing to find and was super simple to setup in windows.

figured id drop this here, if sickbeard isnt working so great or you are using sickrage, i have a better alternative... sonarr ive been using it for an hour and like it better than any alternatives out there that ive tried. sickrage has been terrible at finding tv show episodes lately and this thing has found all the shows that it was failing to find and was super simple to setup in windows.

I've also experienced trouble with sickrage lately. In fact since the update a couple days ago that is synced from github, its failing to run due to a problem with the get-pip.py update/install.

I may try sonarr, but I'm not crazy about redoing all this again. Way better when it just runs all the time without any problems, I miss that.

I use SickRage and Couch Potato, looking at trying out Sonarr to help with a few titles that don't work with SickRage well (Anime mainly).

There are actually two SickRage forks at this time due to a dispute between the developers. The original developer apparently kicked the rest of the time out and decided to do it alone (original Repo). The rest of the members forked it and started working on their own project (new Repo).

If you are on the original/old Git Repo, it may be worth moving to the new one, I have found it more stable. You can find the instructions to update here. I have also heard its pretty easy to backup Sickrage, reinstall it, then import the database, but I have not tried it myself.

I've also experienced trouble with sickrage lately. In fact since the update a couple days ago that is synced from github, its failing to run due to a problem with the get-pip.py update/install.

I may try sonarr, but I'm not crazy about redoing all this again. Way better when it just runs all the time without any problems, I miss that.

sonarr literally took about 10 minutes to setup and i have about 50 shows no messing with python or any of that jazz just run .exe go into settings and input your torrent client info find old show folders boom confirm it found the right show per folder boom done.
and yeah that was the same issue i was having with sickrage last update it just stopped running and i was tired of it, it almost never ever found any of my wifes or kid's shows even when i first started using and it and it was at its prime.

Same, sickrage always sucked at finding my wife's shows... I just figured it was because they suck.

I setup sonar the other day, very quick, and everything has downloaded since. Cool.

Same, sickrage always sucked at finding my wife's shows... I just figured it was because they suck.

I setup sonar the other day, very quick, and everything has downloaded since. Cool.

that's what i always told my wife! lol YOU SHOWS SUCK THATS WHY!! haha. glad it worked out for you! im pretty impressed so far hopefully they keep it going well.

that's what i always told my wife! lol YOU SHOWS SUCK THATS WHY!! haha. glad it worked out for you! im pretty impressed so far hopefully they keep it going well.

Maybe I am just lucky but sickbeard has never given me any problems (that I can tell anyways)

EDIT: Can you explain what it means "finding shows"... as in finding the actual NZBs or when you go to add a new show, the show isn't listed?

Last edited:
Maybe I am just lucky but sickbeard has never given me any problems (that I can tell anyways)

EDIT: Can you explain what it means "finding shows"... as in finding the actual NZBs or when you go to add a new show, the show isn't listed?

nah i dont use nzb's, sickbeard doesnt have a very wide support for non news groups downloaders, but "finding shows" for me meant that like when an episode aired and it searched sites for the said episode it would never find it on my list of providers even though i could go to the providers site and find it myself pretty easily.

i didnt want to pay upwards of $10 a month for news groups, so i started off using a fork of sickbeard called sickbeard TPB (more torrent support) then that went out of support, then i switched to sickrage which was great for a while but never found wifes shows, then latest update completely broke and i was tired of messing with it. installed sonarr, havent looked back.

Back