• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD and Intel Buyer's Guide 8/2011

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is this paid advertising? Given the sticking to suggestions very out of sync with the build purpose, it comes off as product pitching for vendors.
No... its not paid advertising and I passionately disagree with that assertion. The parts picked were quality parts for the price. As a matter of fact, the linking of the products to our reviews wasnt even suggested until this article was about to be published.

Well, like I have mentioned ad nauseum already in the thread and once or twice in the actual article, everyone will build a system differently for their needs. I understand your point, and value your input. Thanks, again, for voicing it. :thup:

Is this paid advertising? Given the sticking to suggestions very out of sync with the build purpose, it comes off as product pitching for vendors.

What part of the conclusion Earthdog quoted is difficult to understand? Others' choices might not be their choices. It's ok, really. There are so many components available there is no way to satisfy everyone in a reasonably sized article, not to mention one that takes a reasonable amount of time to write.

Your post above is tantamount to trolling and is not appreciated. No one that writes for the front page gets paid for anything they write and definitely not for this article. They aren't sticking to anything out of sync with their build purposes. "Everyone’s needs will vary!" I'm not sure what you're alluding to, but if it's your intent, we're not going to edit the article because your needs differ from what they were going for.

EDIT - Just to be clear, your assertion is absolutely absurd. They recommend memory from G.Skill, Corsair, Mushkin and Kingston. Four different manufacturers wouldn't pay to be mentioned in a catch-all buyer's guide.

EDIT II - In eight suggested builds, the PSUs were from three different manufacturers, video cards from four, CPU coolers from three, MB's split between two, cases from three.... you get the point. Think before you post something like that next time please.

Last edited:
I thought they were great buyers guides, what sucks is that prices change constantly, one of these every 2 months would probably be awesome to have.

Mostly when building its all about budget, which i like how that's how you guys start the different categories, the builds are good, especially for the price, due to my preferences i would make some minor changes, and probably some couple bucks upgrades. You guys give a great starting point however, and something for a new builder to get their hands on, that don't yet know much about parts to know what to get. great job! :thup:

Nice job. Short and to the point. People underestimate buying a quality case. I spent close to $200 on an antec case eleven years ago that I still use every day. It came with a 520w psu, but that died 6 years ago. If you spend money on a good case you may never have to buy another one.

That case and power supply for the lowest end system is like recommending rims to someone looking to get a car for transportation on a budget.

That case and power supply for the lowest end system is like recommending rims to someone looking to get a car for transportation on a budget.

Keeping with the car analogy, recommending an Antec 430W Earthwatts Green for a system running a GTX560Ti is like recommending someone get a 100W amp to power four 12" subs. See? We all have differing opinions. Theirs is different than yours. It's time you accept that and move on.

Gotta disagree with this one. The green earthwatts is not exactly a high end Psu. I wouldn't go much lower and put my name on it as reccomended. It will do. One for that budget build, even overclocking. But you note that they did get better as the budget allows.

For the second time, we are shopping at newegg.. new--warranty...etc

Again.. everyone will pick differently.

Irrelevant to the point, $110 is being suggested on a case & power supply for a $650 system. There's not a justification to sticking to it other than, "everyone has their opinion." I do too, which I'm able to back with reason. Even when confined to just newegg, there are a selection of $30-50 cases with good ratings, matched with a $40-50 80plus 500-600w power supply(managed to find a better deal than the one on ebay if you can stomach a mir, $40 for a 600w 80plus: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194087,) is more than a little better and cheaper deal than the $110 suggestion. That leaves $40 more that can go towards something that will actually boost the computing experience, which people are trying to maximize within their budget, instead of just having a more gussied up plastic and metal box.

Last edited:
We all get it. Your opinion is different. I don't think I was clear enough earlier when I said move on. Quit trolling this thread. I really don't wish to make it more clear than that, but will if necessary.

I'd like to add: often these builds may provide a foundation for further upgrades, and so having a solid case and PSU provides a good foundation for upgrading other components - such as CPU, graphics, and memory - at a later date. They're not necessarily a "finished" system.

The builds are always tweakable, and if people have questions feel free to start a thread - use a build from here as a base and then it's straightforward to discuss your needs and suggest amendments to the 'base' build.

Back