• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think my PSU is dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notJUSTguitar

Hi. I usually use my computer 3-4 hours a day since I built it almost 2 years ago. The PSU i've been using is the cheap one that came with my case. It says '500 watts max'.
I used it last night for a few hours, and turned it off.
When I pressed the button power button this morning, the case lights and power LED pop on for half a second and then go off. If I try pressing the power button again, nothing happens.
If I switch the power button on the PSU off and back on, it will do the same thing.
I can smell a little bit of that electrical burn smell if I smell near the vent on the PSU.
So, do you think my power supply would just stop like that?
I'm hoping it's just the PSU, as I don't want to build a new computer till Bulldozer comes out.
Is there a good 650 watt modular supply somebody can recommend that is under $90?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, haven't been able to reply until now.
I don't have another PSU to try.
I ordered the OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W from Newegg.
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018)
Is that a descent power supply? I'm hoping that the rest of my system is fine, and then hopefully I can use this PSU in my next build this fall/spring.

@Fragment85: No, I didn't try shorting it to see if it turned on. Think I should still try that before putting in the new power supply I ordered?

I'll post back when the OCZ power supply get's here next week.
Thanks!
-notJUSTguitar

Oh, I also forgot to add that my computer has been turning on randomly the last 3-4 weeks, usually 1-3 times a week. It has never done that before then. If a PSU was going bad, would that possibly happen?

Yeah that can do it.

OCZ PSU's aren't frequently recommended to be honest, and that one looks a bit weak with 50A on the 12V rail.

I would've recommended a CX600 or TX650 over the OCZ, but it would depend on what you're running in your system.

Yeah that can do it.

OCZ PSU's aren't frequently recommended to be honest, and that one looks a bit weak with 50A on the 12V rail.

I would've recommended a CX600 or TX650 over the OCZ, but it would depend on what you're running in your system.

Ok, that's a bit of a bumber. Too bad I didn't ask for a recommended power supply, as the CX600 is the same price I'm getting the OCZ one for, but I use my computer every day so I just ordered one so I could get up and running again.
Think it will be ok for a year or two? Would you trust it in a system with a high-end motherboard/CPU?

Right now I have the old system I built 2 years ago, an AMD Athlon x2 64 7850BE OCd to 3Ghz (From the 2.8 stock). Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H(rev 1). Planning to built a new system after Bulldozer comes out.
Thanks for the reply.

It should be fine for a mid to high-range system. 50A is still alot, just not necessarily for the wattage they're rating the model.

My OCZ power supply arrived, and I popped it in, and my computer works again!
Also, the cheap PSU that was in there feels like a paper clip compared to the the weight of the OCZ one!

Thanks for all the replies.
-notJUSTguitar

Back