• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LED brightness based on CPU temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zryder

Registered
Hello everyone.

So I had an idea.

I am making an acrylic case, and I was debating between using red or blue lighting.

Then I thought, what if the light would change color from blue to red? What would be a good paramater to use to vary the color? how about CPU temp!

So, does anyone have the slightest clue how one would go about this? I would think an arduino would be able to handle this quite easily, but would an arduino be overkill?

For example, at 30C core temp, the red light is at 0 pwm, and the blue light is at 255 pwm (full brightness). at 75c, the red light is at 255 pwm and the blue is at 0, and vary the pwm signal to the 2 led's based on core temp.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sounds like if you just split the PWM signal coming off the CPU header on the board, you could run it to your CPU fan, and then a controller to change the light color, and vary everything in between.

Or you could use a temp probe placed on the hsf. And use that with a controller. You would be able to adjust the transition based on temp and not wpm duty cycle. You would have to monitor the temp with the probe so you can figure out what range you want. If you want to use a pwm signal from a fan header you would just need to set up a transistor and I would recommend using the 12v for led voltage source.

Back