• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Step-by-step guide to setting up SSD caching on Z68 and Z77

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Should be no problem. Like ED said, put the caching SSD and the storage drive on the Intel ports.

Although the issue with that would be taking a significant performance decrease putting the SSD on a non-Intel SATA3 port would it not?

Perhaps there would be a slight perf decrease on OS (I think significant is a bit harsh) but for his configuration this would be the best bet for overall system speed.

Although the issue with that would be taking a significant performance decrease putting the SSD on a non-Intel SATA3 port would it not?
He also has no choice, in that Intel = RST/SRT w/e.

Perhaps there would be a slight perf decrease on OS (I think significant is a bit harsh) but for his configuration this would be the best bet for overall system speed.
There is a noteable performance difference between the Intel slots and marvell slots though I recall. To define our ambiguous terms, Its more than a few MB which is 'slight' to me.

Cool thanks! its honestly just a google away as that issue (why is my performance so low with my new SSD) has come up even here quite a bit. Let me see if I can find something...

Ok so I am just having a hell of a time setting up Intel SRT on my new Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 mobo.

Everything is fresh and new. I have a single WD 500gb HDD and a single 32gb SSD. (all in SATAii 3gb/s slot 3/4)

In the BIOS I set SATA to RAID save and exit. (BIOS is up to date) I start to install Window 7 Ultimate 64bit. gets to finalizing and then comes up with error saying it cannot install on the installed hardware.

Anyone have a clue on what to do or what I am doing wrong?

Make sure you *don't* connect your SSD while you're installing Windows 7. Just the HDD.

Then, after Win 7 is working and you've loaded Intel's RST driver/manager, you can attach the SSD, reboot (and tell your bios to continue to boot from the HDD), and in Windows, tell Intel's RST to enable SRT on that SSD+HDD pair.

I installed it on the HDD without SSD installed as well. then booted from HDD after installing SSD windows started and intels SRT did not have the acceleration tab looked completely different then my friends.

Now when installing windows on the HDD should I already have it in RAID mode? Which I do. Or should I install it then switch it to RAID mode after I install my SSD?

It's slightly easier if you already have the BIOS set to RAID.

It can be done the other way - if you look at the OP in this thread, Eldonko describes how to do it that way.

but if you've got W7 installed on HDD, and can boot on that HDD, and you've installed RST, then you should be able to use it to configure SRT.

All I can think is to double check that your device drivers & RST software are up to date!

Also- you never need to go into the RST configuration at boot - only through Windows. That distinction messed me up because I kept thinking I needed to configure things in the BOOT/raid configuration interface (wrong). Only in the RST software in Windows.

Lastly: does your storage manager in Windows recognize the SSD?

when I have it in RAID it will not allow me to install windows 7. It gets to finalizing and error message appears.

Seems strange, perhaps a bad hd or sata cable? W7 should install in RAID format.

You could also install W7 in ahci mode and follow steps in post 1 to do the reg tweak. Then change bios to raid.

What board you using?

ok so it was a bad HDD. went and purchase a WD blue 1TB sata 6gb/s HDD and installed and works perfectly. thank you everyone for your help!

A friend asked me to ask this and I can't seem to find it anywhere. If you have an existing RAID0 with 2 HDDs are you able to install an SSD and utilize Intels SRT? or does it only work with one HDD?

Glad you got it sorted, I figured it was probably the HD.

As far as I know caching will work fine with a RAID setup but I've never tried it personally.

I am planning to put my computer together today.

I have the following:

Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 1TB
Kingston V100 SSD 64GB
Asus z68 V Gen 3

Earthdog suggested that I just put my OS and a game or two on the SSD instead of caching. I was curious what others had to say about this. If I go that route, then there would be no caching. How would I install the drives? Just plug them both into SATA ports, boot from disc, and go?

If you're using the SSD purely as a drive, then you plug it in and install Windows 7 to that directly. You don't boot from the HDD at all.

However, 64GB is perfect size for the SRT caching option. It makes your system perform massively better than HDD alone, and gives you the full size of your HDD (1TB) to work with for games, programs, media, etc. Much simpler than having to juggle what is on the SSD, and what's on D:\. You'll have to override everything you ever install to go to the D: drive, and many things will still put a portion on your C: regardless of what you ask for.

If you had a bigger SSD, I'd say use it stand alone. But at 64GB? Unless you have very, very few games or programs you wish to load, I'd use it as a cache. My 2 cents.

Personally I would set up caching with that setup. Why not speed everything up instead of just the OS? Plus I like to have min 100GB for an OS anyway. I always used to run out of space when I ran OS from a 64GB.

Rule of thumb for me is 64GB use for caching, anything bigger use for OS.

Back