• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why the Giant Variance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

So Im folding -bigadv on my main rig and standard A3's on the wifes rig.
With just the minimum backround programs running on both rigs.
Both running 6.34 client in Win7 64

Currently the bigadv is between 44-47min TPF for p2684
My wifes rig is between 3-10min TPF for p6071

Why the huge gap in TPF on the non bigadv client?

Last edited:
Because -bigadv is a whole lot more work, resulting in a whole lot more science and points.

Something must be eating cpu cycles and it should show up in Task Manager. I'm not currently running a p6701, but a check of the benchmark viewer shows minimum and average TPF to be within a few seconds.

Q9450 @ 3.6 without GPU running:
Project ID: 6071
Core: GRO-A3
Credit: 481
Frames: 100

Name: Val-VM 10.10
Path: \\VAL-UBUNTU\fah\
Number of Frames Observed: 100

Min. Time / Frame : 00:04:29 - 9,828 PPD
Avg. Time / Frame : 00:04:33 - 9,613 PPD

So Im folding -bigadv on my main rig and standard A3's on the wifes rig.
With just the minimum backround programs running on both rigs.
Both running 6.34 client in Win7 64

Currently the bigadv is between 44-47min TPF for p2684
My wifes rig is between 3-10min TPF for p6071

Why the huge gap in TPF on the non bigadv client?

He meant the TPF time variance ont the p6071. His time per frame varies anywhere from 3 minutes all the way to 10 mins per frame on the same WU.

Initially, I also misread his post and thought he was wondering about the TPF between the two computers. Then I saw ChasR's post, relooked at the original post, and noticed the 3-10min on the TPF for a single WU.

Check to see what other programs are running in the background. Or it could possibly be your wife using the computer. Do you have FAH running while your wife uses the computer?

Other possibilities:

power saving utilities slowing cpu speed.

A massively 3d screensaver, on a rig with integrated graphics, eating the cpu cycles

Back