• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS Crosshair V Formula Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks a ton for this. I've been wanting one for a month or so now. As we are expecting our next child any day now. Im hording as much money as I can. But in a few weeks I just may be getting this. By far the most impressive review I've read. I would be upgrading from a 770 board to this, so quite a jump in hardware.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Yes very nice review and I will have to take another closer look at it when I ahve a bit more free time. WELL DONE :thup:

Thanks! Not resting on my laurels either. A UD7 just showed up today so we'll have a top dog head to head when I get done with it. :)

if you would not mind i thought it may be helpful to add to this that there are a number of people who have had problems with this board where the red DRAM led lights up and stays lit up and I could not get my computer to POST at all. I tried different kinds of Memory in all the different slots with only one and two channels plugged in. Still, the board would not POST. I logged on to asusrog.com and found quite a few others with the same problem and the only suggestion made is that the ram wasnt under the recommended list....but mine was it was one of the Kingston hyperx accepted ram sticks.

Last time I checked there were still people having problems with this and there has not been any solution given.

I eventually RMA'd my board to get one from another manufacturer.

If this post is not wanted here then please delete it. I just thought it would be helpful information to anyone who is looking at buying this board.

Input is certainly welcome. I'll bring your post to ASUS' attention and ask if there are any known issues.

Did your RMA'ed board function properly?

EDIT - Can you link to your issue and similar issues at the RoG forums? I'd like to be thorough if I do email them.

Input is certainly welcome. I'll bring your post to ASUS' attention and ask if there are any known issues.

Did your RMA'ed board function properly?

EDIT - Can you link to your issue and similar issues at the RoG forums? I'd like to be thorough if I do email them.

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3147-Crosshair-V-Formula-will-not-POST

that is the main thread, i would try and find the other sites and threads where others have stated the same problem but im at work and dont want to get in trouble. Raja(the moderator) says that he has informed ASUS of the problem and that they were working on a solution.

I am not sure what you mean by my board functioning properly because i could never get mine to POST and had the DRAM light up. however everything else did power up, the fans ran, the cd drive had power and would open and close and my cpu fan would spin when turned on....

I mean the replacement board you received; did it function properly? Or did you RMA to the vendor and get that UD7 in your sig?

I won't bother my contact about it then; if Raja notified them, they know. :)

I mean the replacement board you received; did it function properly? Or did you RMA to the vendor and get that UD7 in your sig?

I won't bother my contact about it then; if Raja notified them, they know. :)

I just got the UD7 when it was RMA'd to newegg. I figured that i did not want to risk having another board not working properly and for $10 more i could go ahead and have the ability for 4way SLI in the future but mainly because i want to add an OCZ revodrive SSD and still have plenty of room for SLI.

.....and i dont mind not having UEFI as BIOS is simple enough

I'm reviewing the UD7 now. Good, solid board. It's a very tough decision between the two. Likely a tie all told, depending on what feature set you need. They're similar, but different such that they offer significant enough differences to meet the needs of two distinct audiences.

Better stop before I preemptively write my own conclusion. :p

I'm reviewing the UD7 now. Good, solid board. It's a very tough decision between the two. Likely a tie all told, depending on what feature set you need. They're similar, but different such that they offer significant enough differences to meet the needs of two distinct audiences.

Better stop before I preemptively write my own conclusion. :p

haha, yea i can say that I am very happy with it so far. I have the cpu OC to 4ghz so far but the few times i have tried to OC the NB i have had some problems so I need to work on that some more. However, that will have to wait longer as I am headed to Vegas tomorrow morning. I suspec that I may have to decrease the cpu to 3.8 or 3.9 to get the NB between 2600-2800

Back