• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED My 2600k overclock so far, need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaMaGeLIVE

Registered
Alright guys, so far I managed to OC my 2600k to 4.2 ghz with vcore of 1.33. Its stable using intel burn test. I have a question. On cpu-z when my cpu starts to clock down to 1.6ghz due to it being idle, the core voltage stays at around 1.3volts. When the vcore was on auto settings before the OC, it would usually go down to like 1.2. Is there anyway to set it to clock down vcore automatically but set a max limit?

They probably cannot help you due to insufficient information about your system. You do not even tell them what motherboard is in use. Different brands and models of motherboard will require a different procedure most likely.

Try switching the LLC option. It would either be labeled as Load Line Calibration (LLC) or VDroop control.

Sorry for the system specs. I am using a gigabyte z68 ud4-b3 mobo, with 8gb 1600 ram, corsair hydro h60 cooler, and 750watt psu. I don't have any experience with LLC options, could you please provide a little more detail about it? I really appreciate the help

Some further details. Bios version of the mobo is F5, memory is corsair vengeance at 9-9-9-24 timings, psu is corsair tx-750, gpu is evga 560ti (1024mb at 810 shader), using corsair force gt 120gb ssd, windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

It's just on or off. Voltage tends to droop when the CPU is under load, it's a natural tendency. This option smooths out the droop to try to keep it constant. Other then that option, I don't think anything in the BIOS will dynamically change the CPU voltage.

I'm just worried about running my cpu at 1.3ish volts constantly. Is it safe to do so? Also one note, I find that the voltage reading on cpu-z and HWinfo are different, which HWinfo giving me higher readings. An example would be @ 4ghz on auto vcore setting, HWinfo will read 1.37v and cpu-z will read 1.27. I know that software voltage readings aren't the most reliable, but which one should I trust more?

Yes those readings are on automatic vcore while running intel burn test at 20 cycles on high stress.

Gigabyte calls LLC "Multi Step Load Line" and has several settings, rather than on/off. Try 5. Someone did a graph of the various values, 1 through 10, under idle to load, and basically 5 was pretty good at creating something approaching a flat line (same voltage all of the time). Less = some droop, and more = increased voltage over your base setting under load.

Unless something has been changed in the latest version of CPU-Z (possible, I do not know) but CPU-Z for gigabyte sandy bridge boards wasn't reporting the proper voltage for Vcore, it was displaying VTT or something I believe (but it wasn't the vcore).

So is it okay to be running a stable 1.33 volts even when your cpu idles down to 1.6ghz? I tried the multi step and it helps with higher overclocks along with enabling pll. But I was originally looking for a way to auto clock down voltage when it is not needed, because I was worried about running 1.3+ volts 24/7. If anyone can reassure me that it's generally safe to run voltages at that level constantly then I'll be golden with my 4.2 ghz OC and can shoot for the 4.5 :D

Do you have c1e (and the other c-states) turned on in the BIOS? if I remember correctly they are the features that drop down the voltage in combination with speedstep.

Yes my c states are enabled. Perhaps I should OC and let my computer idle down after 10 min or so?

Ok something odd happened. I tried overclocking to 4.2 at 1.325 volts, run intel burn test 20 times, and let the computer go idle after it was done, to see if it would clock itself down. C states were enabled. I left the room and came back to see me computer asleep. I tried to wake it up but it wouldnt even post. I finally got it running again after powering it down for 5 min or so. Perhaps not enough voltage?

Do you have CPU Pll Overvoltage turned on in the BIOS? If so, it won't let you resume from sleep mode properly.

Also, if you want to check the idling thing make sure the change the power savings features in Windows to disable sleep for the time-being.

Someone here once said that there's a glitch where SB's crash at high OC when they clock back down to idle.

Try disabling all C-states and speedstep options and see if it's still stable?

Back