• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SB Quirk. 2500k Spiking to 98*C on single cores for an instant.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Hey guys, Dom here. Its been a while since I posted about a new rig but one of my office C2D's took a dump and it just happens to be my Quickbooks, Accounting, and Faxing Workstation so we needed a pretty decent machine up pretty fast. I got an excellent deal on a SB 2500k for 190.00, MSI P67 mobo for 75.00 dollars, and 4GB ripjaws for 25 bucks! HAHA
I rebuilt my business workstation for 290.00 top of the line SB, so financially I am happy.

Rest of the rig specs.
MSI P67 C43
Ripjaw 2X2GB 1600 DDR3
Radeon 5770
Silverstone Strider 400w PSU, works like a champ. (this SB build puts out maybe 175 watts tops after full load CPU, mild load GPU, and all peripherals, I tested it thorougly)
WD320GB Spinning Dinner Plate (no ssd here) :)
WIndows 7 64bit Pro
Stock i5 Cooler

In any event, I am extremely happy with the PC performance. It blows away the old E6420 C2D I had in previously. However, I need to ask all of the experienced SB personal a quick question. After constant testing I am assuming this is a just a hardware or software quirk.

I am running the SB at 1.05v and 3.3 GHz, keeping her stock for my work rig on the stock cooler. It idles at about 34*C, and loads at about 58*C for almost all 24 hours of the day but every 3 minutes or so it chooses one core to jump to 98*C? in core temp or realtemp and maxes out the maxtemp tj. Now, being a long time overclocker this doesnt worry me because I checked the mount its fine, and during full load I checked the temperature of the heatsink with my finger, it was absolutely cool as room temp. Plus the rig runs through 100 passes of Linpack at realtime priority at no higher than 59*C. So, this is telling me this is either a SB factory bug, or a problem with SB temp reading software compatibility.

Can anyone confirm this glitch?

Cheers,
Dom

Does it just do this in CoreTemp, or in RealTemp also?? There's a bug that's been noted and fixed (I don't think the fixed version has been released yet) of CoreTemp 1.0, where the cores would all spike to 98C randomly. It's not actually happening, and nothing to worry about.

Now if RealTemp is showing the same thing, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe a bug with RealTemp too?? That would be my first guess. Your CPU would throttle down if it was actually getting that high, and obviously your cooler would be burning hot. I would just check with the makers of RealTemp, and let them know what's going on if RealTemp is also showing the spikes.

Thanks for the help dude. I didnt let realtemp run long enough but so far core temp is producing the 98*C bug and realtemp is GOOD AS GOLDEN!

Thanks bro! I am glad to know this isnt a hardware or sensor issue. All is well!

Cheers,
Dom

Back