• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Splitting up bandwith?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Guid0

i have a network consisting of one cable modem one linksys router and 6 computers. My roommate keeps morpheous or kazza or sometihng running all day long which kills our bandwith for the rest of the roommates. i would like to make groupes
EX:
me
comp 1
comp 2
comp 3
to have 1/3 of the bandwidth
roommate 1
comp 1
roommate 2
comp 1
comp 2

i would like each roommate to be in his own group, and deligate that group 1/3 of the bandwith. is this possible. Do i need a managed router or something like that or can it be done software?

if i am not making sense let me know and i will get some sleep and retype this.. thanx

That's been known to happen, but that is a temporary fix, and i do have to live with these fellas.

LOL, I know the feeling.

Just regulate the bandwith, by adjusting the download speed of Morpheus when necessary.

Up it when you don't need the network, cut it when you do.

Your roomy will need to be flexibable to. Goodluck.

I got to be a way to do it, it only makes sense. I think I read somewhere that with some routers you can adjust the bandwidth for each port. If that is true or if you find a way to do so, I would slowly decrease their bandwidth per day until I got it just were I wanted it.

AMD'er said:
I got to be a way to do it, it only makes sense. I think I read somewhere that with some routers you can adjust the bandwidth for each port. If that is true or if you find a way to do so, I would slowly decrease their bandwidth per day until I got it just were I wanted it.

we're in the same train on the same track running in the samer dirrection. I have a managed hub, that allows bandwidth thottling by individual ports, but i am having one heck of a time getting it set up. I was hoping. that i could do somehting like what Oni was saying maybe with some proxy server like wingate it's possible.

Back