• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

750w or 1000w?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jamasen

hi, sometime in the near future I will be buying a fairly high end gaming computer. I may upgrade it in the future so should I stick with the 750w? or should I get a 1000w? if so can you recommend me a good quality one? :)

the graphics card will be some sort of GTX 590 card and im unsure if it is all compatible.

11mf9ew.png.jpg

if you have any recommendations feel free to post them.

thank you! :)

Why W7 Professional? For gaming I don't know how it would benefit any, why not save a few bucks and get Basic?

As for the PSU I imagine a Corsair 750 could handle the load, I don't know of to many companies that make PSU's like Corsair does. If you plan to upgrade in the near future with another card or something then I could see recommending a 1000W but for the time being don't worry about it.

Why 120gb SSD? All that should be going on the SSD is your operating system so that's a lot of money put out for better boot times. Some people like SSD's but I just don't care for them right now because I don't see a very reasonable pay off. Their wonderful if you're a bencher but if you're just playing games and not competing in the OC game then there's no need for one at all let alone a 120gb.

The monitor, I don't know if that's a good price or not because I don't know much about 3D monitors. I do know that I got an Acer of similar resolution that runs 75Hz and it's an LED and it cost me about $235USD, $800 seems to high to me, hell my 42 inch samsung 1080p LCD tv didn't even cost me $800.

I'm sorry that I'm not throwing actual parts out there for you to check out but I am throwing somethings out there you should consider evaluating. Remember bigger =/= better.

I would buy the OEM version for 130 of win7 pro 64 bit...and I run that 750tx on my rig...no issues. with SLI and RAID.

I would buy the OEM version for 130 of win7 pro 64 bit...and I run that 750tx on my rig...no issues. with SLI and RAID.

Technically, if you upgrade the motherboard on a system with an OEM copy of Windows 7 installed, you have to buy a new copy. Read the license agreement. I only recommend OEM licenses to folks that don't swap equipment often...

For the most part, though, Ronbert is right - there's no particular reason to buy Pro unless you're going to be joining the PC to an Active Directory domain or if you're going to be using more than 16GB of RAM... so perhaps OP has designs on grabbing 32GB when they're widely available?

The AX 750W is a good power supply - it's more than enough for a single GTX 590 and a 2600K. :)

I only use Pro because I get it free through my school's MSDNAA thing :) Definitely avoid OEM, though, unless you are absolutely sure you're never going to upgrade the motherboard.

750W is fine for that system, but if you add another one of those video cards, you might want to bump up to 1200, just to have breathing room for efficiency.

thanks for all the advice, in the future I will most likely get another 590 but ill keep the 750w until then.

ill buy some sort of retail win7 because I might upgrade the motherboard in the future. and ill get a smaller SSD to save money.

also will all the parts be compatible?

thank you for all the help!

IMO you can just call MS and they'll reactivate it for you...but I guess retail is the better way to go about it.

Just get the 1000W now, it'll save you some hassle.

And yes, they're all compatitable.

Back