• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED laser pointers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shant

hello :)
so i just suddenly thought of building a laser out of a dead dvd-rw
sadly, i need a laser module lens or something to make it work, the thing is its not available in my country and have to order it specially from outside, which i don't want to do, so my question is, is there an alternative for the lens ? can i use something else and still get the laser point ?

Hi shant!

I'm certainly no expert, but AFAIK the light output on a DVD drive isn't within the human visible range. I could be wrong...

That aside, you may try purchasing a cheap laser pointer and disassemble it, and use it's lens for your project.

Have fun!
-JT

i think its the cd drive laser diode thats invisible,good idea i could do that :)
but does any kind of lens work at any power level? lets say i got a 5-10mw laser and used the lens of that to opwer a 120-200mw one, will it work or just fry?

I'm not very familiar with laser lenses, power levels and such. Having said that, I'd make an educated guess that the lower power lenses probably wouldn't be a problem. However, higher-level diodes may 'eat' the lens if it's incorrect. Like the ones sold by wicked lasers.

Also, I don't know if the lens focus would be the same, either. Just guessing here, sorry!

-JT

In true laser beams all the light waves are parallel and in phase... I was thinking that the CD lasers may have a lens that focuses the beam on a small area which wouldn't really work for a laser pointers. I didn't find the answer to this but i did sumbel along this while looking.

How to make a cutting laser from a CD-ROM

Man, I just walk down the street and buy one. I can order one that will blind you, ahh the feedom to destroy.
http://gizmodo.com/5560206/the-spyder-iii-pro-arctic-is-a-real-life-lightsaber

Man, Lebanon, what wonderful beaches and a beautiful country. I can see why things are limited there. Your in the 'hot seat'.

Best of luck finding what you need, the CD lasers are at such a low power, only mm off the surface of the CD, I can't imagine they have any value or use besides what they were designed for.

Just fyi you can see a dvd laser because my dvd player was acting wierd and I was running it with no cover at at all ... It a bright red laser too... Pics will be supplied if wanted..

Man, I just walk down the street and buy one. I can order one that will blind you, ahh the feedom to destroy.
http://gizmodo.com/5560206/the-spyder-iii-pro-arctic-is-a-real-life-lightsaber

Man, Lebanon, what wonderful beaches and a beautiful country. I can see why things are limited there. Your in the 'hot seat'.

Best of luck finding what you need, the CD lasers are at such a low power, only mm off the surface of the CD, I can't imagine they have any value or use besides what they were designed for.

how many watts is that The Spyder III? ive seen a review of it, its quite powerfull
well the reason its limited is because import tax is very very expensive,not too many people ask for it, and not many websites ship here :\
stuff on electronics are very very limited here :mad:
im thinking of buying a cheap laser and dissemble the lens and use that

well, cd ones aren't powerful, but dvd rw 20x speed ones seem to be good enough to light a match in a second :p

portable 1W ? thats extreme!
how are they cooling that thing? battery life must be pretty short

Back