• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Is my PSU dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h4rm0ny

I've had a number of problems recently with my computer - basically since putting a Phenom II X6 on a M4A79XTD EVO MB. But with underclocking the memory and an upgrade to the BIOS, it was stable.

Now after a few weeks of everything being fine, my computer is doing a couple of things at random intervals. Either -
  1. Completely shutting down.
  2. Sort of shutting down - in which the screen goes dead, the Num Lock locks, but the fans are still running on the case and the powerlight is on.

When I was having problems with my memory and the processor, it never did this, it always just froze on the screen. So I think it is a different problem. I don't think the problem is overheating because looking at the core temps, they're all hovering around the 27C mark.

Is it likely to be my PSU? Do they just start randomly conking out sometimes?

My set up is

Phenom II X6 1100T
Noctua NH-D14
8GB DDR3 1600MHz Ram (2x4GB)
1x 64MB SSD
4x SATA drives (2x 500GB, 2x 160GB, in two RAIDs)
1x Blu-Ray drive (assuming irrelevant as not running during crashes)
1x Radeon 4870 Graphics Card.
1x Asus Xonar D2 Sound Card
Case has three 120mm fans.

Not overclocked since this problem started.

The PSU is a HX520W Corsair. Can't remember how old it is. At least three years, I would guess.

I use this computer for my work so if it's the PSU, I need to get a new one asap.

Failures are happening sometimes several times in quick succession. Sometimes I get a run of six hours out of it before it happens.

Many thanks for any help

Hmm... The HX520 is a nice power supply.. Probably at one point or another that 520 would have been fine. I'm sure you've done upgrades since.. I think you're probably correct in thinking that that's the issue.

I would get a HX 650 for your next power supply...750 if you can afford it..

Hmm... The HX520 is a nice power supply.. Probably at one point or another that 520 would have been fine. I'm sure you've done upgrades since.. I think you're probably correct in thinking that that's the issue.

I would get a HX 650 for your next power supply...750 if you can afford it..

Thank you. It looked like the PSU to me but I didn't want to buy a replacement and find it wasn't. Unfortunately none of the other PSUs that I have lying around are powerful enough for me to test with.

I can just about stretch to the HX750. It's my work box so tax deductable. There's a chance I'll be putting in a better graphics card and a couple more hard drives, so might be best to future proof it. :)

Out of curiosity, if you know, what's the difference between Corsair's HX750 and the Professional series AX750? They look the same to me, but one is about UK£20 higher.

Thank you. It looked like the PSU to me but I didn't want to buy a replacement and find it wasn't. Unfortunately none of the other PSUs that I have lying around are powerful enough for me to test with.

I can just about stretch to the HX750. It's my work box so tax deductable. There's a chance I'll be putting in a better graphics card and a couple more hard drives, so might be best to future proof it. :)

Out of curiosity, if you know, what's the difference between Corsair's HX750 and the Professional series AX750? They look the same to me, but one is about UK£20 higher.

all HX power supplies are modular... So you can add the connectors you need.. Makes the case less cluttered with unused power supply wires... Perfect for a neat freak, and building servers where air flow is needed... I've built 3 so far, and all have the HX650, I don't need PCI-e wires so that stays disconnected...

Do what you can afford.. The 750 would be a nice choice.. But I would not look any place else but Corsair.. They just know how to make a good quality power supply... :thup:

Back