• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any reason to get a Dell U2410 over U2412M?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

I've been waiting for these guys to go on sale for a while. The 2412M is on sale for $329: http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/dell-ultrasharp-u2412m-24-inch-ips-led-backlit-lcd-monitor/32896.aspx

It seems the only difference between this and the 2410 is the price (which isn't really an issue), the 2410 has a better color gamut, and the 2410 has slightly better response time (6ms vs. 8ms). I'll be using this monitor primarily for gaming and I don't want the response time to cause any problems (my current 22" has 2ms response time).

Thanks!

seems like a good price for a new 24" 6 bit ips panel. So long as you do not need features that higher end units have an eips is the best price/quality monitor you can buy new.

What about the higher response time? That's really the only thing I'm hesitant about. I have no idea if it'll actually matter or if its all hype...

TL;DFLT (Too long, didn't feel like typing)

2410 dell_u2410.jpg
2412M dell_u2412m.jpg

The input lag is 9.4 ms (down from 14.4 on the 2410 in GAME MODE) compared to a CRT display.

FROM TFTCENTRAL: Dell U2410 Comparison

I know many people are going to be asking the question: "which is better, the U2410 or U2412M?" I'd like to start by re-iterating the point that the U2412M is not replacing the U2410, but rather will be a supplementary model in the UltraSharp range, aimed more at the mass consumer market and multimedia user. The U2410 is aimed more at professional graphics users and higher end work while also offering an all round feature and function set. The price point is lower on the U2412M than the U2410 but its features do vary.

From this page: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

Near the bottom

I've been looking at both of these monitors for a couple of weeks now myself. I just can't pick one to pull the trigger on yet w/ BF3, DIII and CS:GO coming out soon.

Moses

either one you wont be disapointed.... eIps / ips will blow ANY craptastic TN outta the water... i LOVE my 2209WA... eIps 1680x1050 @ 75hz all day long!

Hmm looks like the 2412M might be the way to go. I'm gonna see if I can borrow a 2410 from work to test it on some games then decide :D

I dont know what to choose, also buying the screenie for bf3!! If you had the money, would you go for the u2410? Or is it not worth it for gaming?
Why is the M so cheap?

So neither monitor is really designed for gaming. The 2410 is more of a professional art designer/photographer monitor targeted towards users who need extremely good color accuracy. It has more features and is calibrated at the factory which is probably why its more expensive.

I dont know what to choose, also buying the screenie for bf3!! If you had the money, would you go for the u2410? Or is it not worth it for gaming?
Why is the M so cheap?

The U2410 is the best 24" you can buy for the current Dell price. It looks like the U2412M is an "economy" IPS monitor like the Dell 2209WA is (eIPS). Whether you need the U2410 for gaming is unknown.

I have the 2007 1600 x 1200 20" IPS Dell and it's the best 20" I've seen for the money. It's the little technology brother of the U2410.

There are few issues with the u2410 which is why enough people are willing to pay more for the asus 24". Many users think that the uxx10 ips line has to much matte filtering applied to the panels. Also they can have tint issues related to pink and green.

The u2412m is to new to know of any picky issues like those known about the u2410 but it likely will have the same reverse ghosting issues of other eips panels and also seems to have a strong matte filter.

edit: ghosting due to overdrive is fairly apparent in the u2412m on the image posted above.

Last edited:
edit: ghosting due to overdrive is fairly apparent in the u2412m on the image posted above.

Which will affect gaming performance. If those pics are any indication of actual performance the 2410 is the one to get. It's too bad that there isn't a standardized measurement for response time. Manufacturers can put 2ms on their panels when it isn't even that close. Kind of like contrast ratios. Just numbers to make buyers think one is better than another.

Weren't the U2410 tint and dithering issues fixed with rev. A01?

My U2410 doesn't have either of those issues and is a rev. A01, I made sure to not get the A00 b/c of those issues.

What worries me is the fact that u2410 was released on 2009. Doesnt technology evolve very quick? In that case, is this one obsolete compared to the technology of today?

Weren't the U2410 tint and dithering issues fixed with rev. A01?

My U2410 doesn't have either of those issues and is a rev. A01, I made sure to not get the A00 b/c of those issues.

What worries me is the fact that u2410 was released on 2009. Doesnt technology evolve very quick? In that case, is this one obsolete compared to the technology of today?

Matt,

Hasn't there been a few upgrades since 2009 for the U2410 (A04?). You're correct on the differenet upgrade (A01). It's been fixed.

I think A01 and A02 had firmware updates, but revisions since are just changes in manufacturing process or location.

the asus pa246q is generally considered to be the best of the current 24" ips monitors available in the us mostly because the matte finish is not as aggressive as it is in the u2410.

the asus pa246q is generally considered to be the best of the current 24" ips monitors available in the us mostly because the matte finish is not as aggressive as it is in the u2410.

not that i dont believe you, but says who? :p

Back