• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Different RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deltafan909

I have 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel 1333Mhz RAM (2GBx3). I want to upgrade. Can I have different RAM modules at different speeds installed. So, could I have for example, some RAM mods at 1333, then some up past 1800? Or, do they all need to be the same size, speed, and manufacturer. I'm a new person at this stuff. Thanks.

Hi Delta,

You *can* have RAM modules at different speeds, given they are of the same generation (DDR1, DDR2, DDR3), however; they will ALL operate at the slowest speed. In your situation, all of your modules will be running at 1333Mhz.

Hope this helps,
-JT

What Jmtrya said is generally true with memory, occasionally you will also run into issues where the timings are different and they require different voltage to run, which could cause other problems. I'd recommend always sticking with the same set(s) of memory to avoid them. With RAM as cheap as it is nowadays, it isn't too hard to pick up a new set and pass off the old ones.

So, would you recommend I stash my current ones away for now, and just get a whole new set?

That or sell them. I'm not sure how much of an increase you expect to get out of faster RAM. IT will be faster in benchmarks, but it probably won't be ultimately noticeable in everyday use.

IT will be faster in benchmarks, but it probably won't be ultimately noticeable in everyday use.

100% agreed; you'd only be able to notice the difference in a benchmark, especially considering the age of the overall hardware that's being used here.

-JT

Back