• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

550 watt kingwin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arbiter Odie

I'm trying to get my main computer running again, and could use some advice about power supplies.

I originally chose the 550 watt lazer platinum because of the ripple suppression. Is 550 watts going to be enough for this system?

Sempron 140
8 gigabytes Gskill ripjaws 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24
nvidia gt 430
vertex 2 ssd 60 gigabytes

Thank you in advance!

Oh yeah, it's plenty and way overkill :thup:

I thought of this when I typed that...
koolaid_oohya_icon949.jpg

KoolAidMan_Fullpic_2.gif

Heh, thanks for the answer (and the kool-aid).

I forgot to mention the motherboard: Crosshair V. That won't make a difference, will it?

Geez... you could run a Sempron 140 even heavily overclocked and a GT 430 on less than 200W. 550W is silly overkill for that type of low loading. The motherboard won't make a meaningful difference in this instance.

That being said, the Lazer Platinum is simply one of the top units you can buy, period. I wouldn't try to stop you from getting one.

I forgot to mention the motherboard: Crosshair V. That won't make a difference, will it?

Not even a little bit. I'm running the OEM version of that same unit in my main rig. I've never even seen the fan turn on.

Geez... you could run a Sempron 140 even heavily overclocked and a GT 430 on less than 200W. 550W is silly overkill for that type of low loading. The motherboard won't make a meaningful difference in this instance.

That being said, the Lazer Platinum is simply one of the top units you can buy, period. I wouldn't try to stop you from getting one.

I already have it. I was making sure it would be okay with a crosshair V... some asus tech support person told me I needed a larger power supply to run the board... he "personally" recommended "at least 800 watts".

Not even a little bit. I'm running the OEM version of that same unit in my main rig. I've never even seen the fan turn on.
:shock: My thread has been blessed by a response from Oklahoma Wolf himself!!! You're the reason I bought the unit in the first place. After reading that review, I went and read many of your others, including the one done in rhyme. That was interesting :p

Thank you for being so awesome for the rest of us who are afraid of electric shocks.

That one was a royal pain to write though ;)

I'm going to slap a 6950 in the main rig before too long. See if that finally turns the PSU fan on.

Hey, wolfe, you originally from OK? Just wondering about the connection since you live in Saskatchewan.

Back