• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any new 6950's from newegg still unlock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I want to add a second card for crossfire with my 6970 and really want a 6950 to unlock. However, I have been reading threads at various forums and the reviews of several 6950's at newegg and around the net that the new cards are all lazer cut. Has anyone here recently bought cards that unlock? When and where did you purchase the 6950?

Thanks, krag

I've unlocked three twin frozr ii cards, don't know if they still do but everyone I tried unlocked.

When did you buy the last one?

I just ripped this newegg review dated 9/1

Pros: It's an HD6950, and it came with a game I wanted to buy anyway. Over-all, a bargain with that game.

Cons: NOT UNLOCKABLE! That was the whole reason I even bought the thing. What's worse is that the card looks like was an RMA already, and it was actually covered with some sort of silcone grease or something which I have never seen on a NEW graphics card. Some people say that the Twin Frozr II cards are unlockable in these reviews, however I think that these people are either trolling, posting reviews for the wrong products, or Newegg pasted the same review under multiple products.

Other Thoughts: I'm not saying this is a BAD product, just not the product I wanted. If you are not technically inclinde and have no idea how to do a BiOS reflash, then by all means just get this HD6950 and it will serve you well... now if you are like me and got this card specifically to unlock and tweak, then this is NOT what a lot of people have described to have received. I am RMAing this thing for either a Sapphire Toxic or the Twin Frozr III which are supposedly still the proper dual-BiOS cards.

7/20 open box from newegg. Even when I bought it there were some newegg reviews that said they couldn't get it to unlock.

at this point to get one you will likely have to resort to buying used or open box

Thanks bro, I just sent my info through the auto notify.

Back