• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starfox SNES Overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drakon

I don't know where to put this so I'll stick it here..

superfx2starfox.jpg

inthesystem.jpg

Here's the demonstration video

and here's the worklog

http://consolemods.freeforums.org/starfox-overclocked-t70.html

This is so cool and funny. I never thought anyone would ever overclock an old cartridge game. I wonder if this is the start of an SNES overclocking revolution.

This is so cool and funny. I never thought anyone would ever overclock an old cartridge game. I wonder if this is the start of an SNES overclocking revolution.

I'm actually the second person to do this. Except mine's faster than the previous one by a mightly 2 mhz!

I tried 30 mhz and a most stages worked but a few stages would freeze so I had to go back down to 27.

That is really impressive. Time to do it with an n64 cart now! I assume it would also work for games like Mario Kart, etc?

That is really impressive. Time to do it with an n64 cart now! I assume it would also work for games like Mario Kart, etc?

No this only works on starfox. Super fx games have the graphics processor chip built into the cart. You can overclock super fx games (although the procedure is different for different types of super fx games). Other games (like mario kart) use the system processor to draw graphics so you'd need to overclock the entire system which would result in something terrible like this:

Duh! I completely forgot about the FX chip.

So lookin at this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_FX

Games released with the Super FX chip
Dirt Racer [1] (PAL)
Dirt Trax FX [2]
Star Fox (North America/Japan) / Starwing (PAL)
Stunt Race FX [3] (North America/PAL) / Wild Trax (Japan)
Vortex [4]
[edit]Games released with the Super FX 2 chip
Doom [5]
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Winter Gold / FX Skiing [6

Is it possible with the FX-2 chip as well or just the normal FX?

Duh! I completely forgot about the FX chip.

So lookin at this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_FX

Games released with the Super FX chip
Dirt Racer [1] (PAL)
Dirt Trax FX [2]
Star Fox (North America/Japan) / Starwing (PAL)
Stunt Race FX [3] (North America/PAL) / Wild Trax (Japan)
Vortex [4]
[edit]Games released with the Super FX 2 chip
Doom [5]
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Winter Gold / FX Skiing [6

Is it possible with the FX-2 chip as well or just the normal FX?

yes it is. The overclocked starfox in this video is on the fx-2 chip (if you read the video it says super fx 2). All three revisions of the fx chip are compatible with each other. However the technique to overclock the chip depends on how the game is programmed. Starfox was difficult because it wouldn't allow me to overclock it the same way you overclock stunt race fx or doom. I had to disconnect the super fx 2 from the original clock circuit and wire a crystal oscillator directly into the chip.

We basically started with a 6$ doom cart, removed the maskrom, soldered on a maskrom from a 7$ starfox cart, and then I figured out how to overclock it (figured it out on my own) and applied the overclock. I figured out how to properly overclock the chip by studying how the clock circuit on a starfox 1 cartridge works. The starfox cartridge actually has a clock signal going direclty into the chip but other games like stunt race fx have a different type of clock circuit with a hex inverter that actually was causing the mod not to work right with a starfox maskrom.

Last edited:

N64? I am thinking Atari 2600! Muppets In Space at super speed... come on how sweet would that be?

Nevermind too late Link

Back