• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm out of ideas... new system issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

99Scooby

Hello everyone,
I'm at my wit's end here today haha. I've built computer since the mid 90's, so whatever I'm doing wrong is either something mind-numbingly simple, or some "gotcha" that I am currently unaware of.
Here's the story. I have 3 motherboards sitting here in my office. 2 AMD AM3 boards (Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H, ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3), and 1 Intel board (SuperMicro X9SCL-F). Processors are an AMD Phenom II Black (X4 955), and an Intel Core i3. I have 5 different memory configurations here: 12GB (4GBx3) Crucial DDR3 1333, 8GB (4GBx2) Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1333, 2GB (2GBx1) Samsung DDR3 1333, 4GB (2GBx2) Team Elite DDR3 1066, and 3GB (1GBx3) Hynnix DDR3 1333.
The problem? I can only seem to get one compatible configuration out of all of the above. When I try ANY of the memory configurations above in either of the AMD setups, I get nothing. The fans spin, but the system never POSTS. If I try it in the SuperMicro Intel system, the Ballistix causes a "no memory found" beep code. The 12GB, 4GB, and 2GB kits do the same thing they do in the AMD setups. The 3GB (1GBx3) actually works in the Intel setup.
I have confirmed the memory is not at fault, as I took the known working memory from a Dell Vostro 230 (1GB x 1) and tried it. Same result. I have installed it in every configuration I can think of, installed it as a single stick, cleared the BIOS with the jumper, put in external video cards, etc.
I am at a complete loss, and I simply cannot believe that two motherboards, two processors, and 4 memory kits are faulty.

Basically my Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H with an AMD Phenom II 955 black edition will not post no matter what kind of DDR3 i use even the Corsair XMS 1333 that says it will work in the manual. If i remove ram and try to boot i get the normal memory error beeps.

Gotcha.

Given that the board will not post with any RAM, I think you likely have an issue with the board. CPUs usually are fine as long as they have not been shocked or damaged, ie bent pins.

Did this CPU and/or mobo work for you before? If so, has anything happened in between then and now that would not be conducive to functional components? Lightning strike? Drops? etc?

Sounds simple, but do you have both the 24 pin and 8 pin ATX connectors securely plugged in? What else do the systems share in common (power supply, physical location, case, etc)?

I've also tried the same components in my ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 with the same results. No lightning strikes or anything as either system has never booted into the bios, power supply is outputting the correct voltages as I have verified them with a meter. yes the 8 pin connector is plugged into its correct location as well as the ATX plug. I have even tried a different CPU being a Phenom II x4 945

What about physical location? Are they in the same case (etc)?

Yes they are in the same location, be it in the case or on the top of my desk.:rolleyes:

Try just 1 stick of memory,start with dimm 1 then move to 2,3,4 and see what you come up with.Gigabyte says to get a 1866 mem speed use Dimm_3 and Dimm_4 I know you are just trieing to get the system to post but these 2 slots seem to make a difference in certain situations.

We need to know powersupply model,and what video card you might be using. and a Picture of you test setup may help too.

The power supply is a BFG 650w, on board video. I refuse to buy more ram after trying corsair and crucial 1333, 1066, 1060. And as far as a test setup, I do IT for a living, I'm really not seeing how a picture of what i have is going solve my issues.

Back