• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

Thinking about a major upgrade to our HTPC.

Im currently using a rented Fios HD DVR, but Im thinking about going for a cable card.

-I would like to be able to record series just like with my current STB, but onto the HTPC. I would assume this is possible with the right software.

-Also, I noticed with a Fios Cablecard you loose the Interactive Channel Guide. So does this mean I will have no channel guide at all?
Im sure WMC or XBMC has a channel guide plugin.

-Lastly is switching to a cable card over a STB a good move?

-Yes

-CableCARD tuners only work with Windows 7MC. It's all about the DRM they need. 7MC has an EPG you use.

-Depends on whether or not you prefer flexibility and capability over simplicity. The STB will always be simpler which is how the cableco wants it. There may not be a huge cost savings by eliminating a STB/DVR rental unless you have a lot of them and can centralize recording/streaming. You will have to give up OnDemand and PPV services if you get rid of all STBs. CableCARDs can't do two-way communication.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently paying $20 a month for an HD DVR. The cable card is $2.99 a month.
I may give it a try soon and hold onto my STB for a bit.

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently paying $20 a month for an HD DVR. The cable card is $2.99 a month.
I may give it a try soon and hold onto my STB for a bit.

With a cablecard setup it is all about getting the "one box" experience. If you don't already use WMC then you may not be gaining anything except expandable storage. Keep in mind you will only be able to use WMC in one room unless you have an xbox 360.

I use SageTV (now owned by google) and have directv and love only having one box. It's pretty awesome if you're into that. Plus, sage can do things no cable co dvr can. I have automatic commercial skipping (which lots of htpc software has) plus when I set a sporting event to record I have a plugin that will monitor if it goes into overtime and adjust the recording schedule accordingly.

I have Win 7 Pro on all of my rigs.
So why wouldn't I be able to use WMC on all my rigs?

You can, but they would have to be separate systems as there isn't a really good way to share recordings between them. You'd really be better off (for TV) using an Xbox 360 as an extender. It can't play dvd's from folders and things like that though.

It all really depends on how you want things to work. WMC is great, it just isn't all that flexible when it comes to multiple clients.

How many clients would you want to have?

I would probably watch recordings on 3 total systems including the HTPC.
Eventually I'll have all my rigs wired with Cat6. As of now everything is wireless.

I would probably watch recordings on 3 total systems including the HTPC.
Eventually I'll have all my rigs wired with Cat6. As of now everything is wireless.

If you go the wmc route then xbox 360's are the best way to make watching recordings at other locations simple. The xbox has issues with certain file types, but TV is pretty solid. Any other htpc back end will have to have pc clients.

It really all boils down to how simple you want things to be.

Well I only have 1 TV. I would like to watch movies/recorded tv on the 2 computers in my office. (both run Win7 Pro)

By making the drives in my HTPC "networked drives" ive been able to watch movies on my 2 other rigs pretty easily.

You may not realize that both live TV and recordings you make from a CableCARD tuner are DRM-controlled. That *may* prevent you from waching some recordings on any computer except the one where the program was recorded. The difficult part is that there is no single rule that can tell you for sure how that will work. It depends on how your cable provider marks shows with DRM controls. There's a DRM "flag" known as the CopyOnce flag that they control. When they set it for a broadcast the show is locked by the DRM. It can only be played back on the computer where it was recorded. When it's not set, you can play the recording back anywhere.

You can count on premium channels like HBO, SHO, etc to always be CopyOnce. At the other end all your local affiliate stations (ABC, NBC, etc) will be unlocked. The rest are up for grabs and that depends entirely on your cable provider, and, *worse* it can change without notice since there is no real clear rule about how the flag may be used in those cases. You have to plan for all that if you intend to set up a multi-TV system or networked media center system. Last I heard FiOS was pretty lenient; the only things marked CopyOnce were premium channels but I'd definitely check that out if it matters to you. How they mark things can even vary by region so it can end up being a real PITA to deal with. And like I said, you can design a whole system around the fact that they don't mark things as locked and a month later they'll change that on you too. So be careful with the decisions if it's a deal breaker.

The only way to freely view everything, everywhere is to use extenders. You record off a centralized HTPC then all the remote TVs/monitors view recordings made by that HTPC via extender. That's fully supported and DRM doesn't come into play. If you don't want extenders you may be able to deal with it by recording those shows that are DRM-locked at the PC where you mostly watch them, or even double-record some shows. That's possible using the tuner sharing cabability of the DCT's now since they can be "shared-out" among multiple WMCs even though the tuners are all physically in one machine (or network based in the case of the HDHR Prime). However an annoyance here is that there is no centralized EPG capability for WMC. You have to schedule and manage recordings separately at each WMC location. One last point that may be good to know, even if a recording is marked CopyOnce, you can still move that recording to another machine and play it back across a network *as long as* you're playing it back on the computer where it was recorded. That at least allows you to move all files to a server and play them back at your main HTPC.

Hope that clears things up some. It's still not entirely troublefree or as simple as STBs thanks to the DRM.

Last edited:
However an annoyance here is that there is no centralized EPG capability for WMC. You have to schedule and manage recordings separately at each WMC location..

Not technically true. There is an application that will "broker" recordings to other WMC machines on the same network so you don't run into conflicts. So if you have 3 pc's with tuners in each this program will let you schedule recordings on one pc and if you run out of tuners it will broker them to another.

http://babgvant.com/files/folders/recbrocker/default.aspx

Back