• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5770 + 3 Monitors = BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Bought this card very recently from a retailer as refurb. Works fine in games. Running Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit.

I tried booting up with 3 monitors plugged in, BSOD, no matter what. I tried just plugging it in while in Windows, instant BSOD. No matter what, I can't get a third screen hooked up and into Windows. Could be a software problem, have latest drivers and OS updates.

Any tricks?

Thanks!

Please post your specs so we can see if it might be any other hardware problem related.

1) Check your PSU. Make sure you got enough juice or 12 rails going because that's usually the problem.
2) ATI has no driver support for Windows Server systems. So that's gonna take a lot of tweaking I guess.

I suggest you try to run dual OS with Win7 so you can separate gaming and severside apps as a lot of drivers don't have Windows Server support...

*sigh* .. the help here really isn't what it used to be.

Specs are pretty obviously visible in my signature. I just asked my PSU, and it said the 90a ramp should be enough to go from 2 to 3 monitors, it's a close one, but it should be able to squeeze out just enough. I was unaware that the 12v rail was the most common problem for the 3rd output on a videocard not working.

Windows Server 2008 R2 is very close to Windows 7, even though there's no official support, I don't think that's the issue... It could be, I'm very open to it... But I'm leaning towards there being a problem with the card, even though it just came from the manufacturer.

Only two are working at startup. The DVI is primary, and the Display Port is secondary, while HDMI is BSODing.

I'm using just a passive DP to DVI adapter from a FireMV, has always worked fine.

It's the 3rd monitor on HDMI that's not working. It's annoying, getting close to looking at Nvidia's equivalent card.

I am pretty sure 3 screens will exceed the maximum res supported by any graphics card.

Apart from maybe a GTX590 or 6990 as they are two chips on one card right.

The equivalent nvidia card would do just the same thing. Just because AMD says it supports eyefinity that means you need two cards. :-/

If that HDMI monitor has a DVI option you can use, you might want to try a HDMI to DVI active adapter. There's been problems reported that a HDMI with DVI won't work.

AMD states that you can use 3 monitors with the 5770, so it should work... What are the resolutions being run on the working 2 monitors?

All my monitors are DVI, so I'm running adapters from HDMI and DP to DVI, and they're not active adapters, but I've never had a problem before.

My two monitors on right now are both at 1680x1050 each. The third I would want at that, if not more.

I think those are details that don't matter too much since I'm getting BSODs, those are kind of different than what you guys are getting at.

All my monitors are DVI, so I'm running adapters from HDMI and DP to DVI, and they're not active adapters, but I've never had a problem before.

My two monitors on right now are both at 1680x1050 each. The third I would want at that, if not more.

I think those are details that don't matter too much since I'm getting BSODs, those are kind of different than what you guys are getting at.

Ok.

Well 1 gb of memory spread across 3 screen of 1680 x 1050 might be the issue.

It could also be that the 3rd display pipeline is just broken.

Lastly I do believe AMD says you need to use active display port adapters:
'Note: These products support up to 6 display pipelines per GPU and the total number of display pipelines depends on the GPU as implemented by the manufacturer.1 Also, at least 3 simultaneous, active display outputs, including one DisplayPort™ connector are required to support AMD Eyefinity technology. Please consult the manufacturer of a particular product to confirm if it supports this feature.'

as taken from: http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/how-to/Pages/faqs.aspx

I thought that using a non active adapter would result in just a blank screen, but perhaps that is your issue.

I would hope you got the setup to work bye now because this is an older post. The video card will only use 2 dvi/hdmi connections for the third connection you will need an active display port adapter. They cost between $25 and $50 online. You also need to be running vista or windows 7. XP does not support 3 monitors. I hope that helps anyone that comes to the forum looking for advice on this topic.

Back