• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling consoles in enterainment center.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathhorse

So i was wondering what kind of fan orientation i would use to keep my components cool in my entertainment center. I dont have doors and the back of it is made out of that cheap wannabe cardboard. If i installed 2 120mm fans one for each device XBOX/PS3 should i face one in and one out? or both in?

I vote a quiet fan on each side of the cabinet. One intake one exhaust. Crossflow through the cabinet from the back left corner to the front right corner or something like that.

Personally i would just take the back off and exercise some cable management to make it look neat.

Funny how I ran into this thread, I just finished a mod like this about 20 minutes ago using a digital thermostat and some 120MM fans to exhaust hot air. My entertainment center had large openings in the bottom so air wasn't an issue, more so the hot exhaust from the consoles.

I used a digital thermostat because well I don't need them running all the time just when the temps peak in the entertainment center.

If you are interested I can give you more details.

defiantly you got pics or diagrams? any help would be appreciated. I bought a wall outlet to 4pin molex and it doesnt even work darn ebay.

I don't have pictures right now (at work) but here is the run down;

4-Pin/AC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812706011

Thermostat
http://www.amazon.com/WIN100-Heatin...AQ930TZJ6RJS9&s=generic&qid=1315968919&sr=1-1

4-Pin/AC to the Thermostat, placing the Therostat at your hotest point.

Use a 4-Pin molex connector to split off as many fans as needed which the adapter will allow. The fans you choose and their needs will determine what you will be able to place on it. You can also find higher output rated adapters, I just linked the one I used.

The thermostat actually isn't to badly priced, plus it has several uses.

Shop around, I paid $18 for mine I just don't recall from where. . . . (to many toys :rofl:)

Personally i would just take the back off and exercise some cable management to make it look neat.

I know that I would certainly not do this. That rear piece regardless of how flimsy it may be is a VERY IMPORTANT structural member. These cheapo cabinets/shelf units will come apart if you allow them to wobble. Even if you glue it in addition to the tool less anchors they need something to provide lateral stabilization. You can remove about half of it so long as there's something to keep it square and absorb and dissipate horizontal shock/strain. Now of course you can remove it and replace it with something stronger.

I know that I would certainly not do this. That rear piece regardless of how flimsy it may be is a VERY IMPORTANT structural member. These cheapo cabinets/shelf units will come apart if you allow them to wobble. Even if you glue it in addition to the tool less anchors they need something to provide lateral stabilization. You can remove about half of it so long as there's something to keep it square and absorb and dissipate horizontal shock/strain. Now of course you can remove it and replace it with something stronger.

agreed i am not taking the back off its ugly for one and it makes the MDF sytle stands fall apart. i got a 47in lcd on top i aint let that fall over. :p

agreed i am not taking the back off its ugly for one and it makes the MDF sytle stands fall apart. i got a 47in lcd on top i aint let that fall over. :p

Did you still want some pictures or have you found another route to go? I found some pictures before I did complete cable management on the system so if gives you a good idea what I did.

Did you still want some pictures or have you found another route to go? I found some pictures before I did complete cable management on the system so if gives you a good idea what I did.

yeah that would be cool i need to do some cable management as well because my surrounds keep getting caught up.

Back