• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

torrents and windows file sharing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK i have a problem. heres the setup.

router > 8 port gigabit switch > server and main rig etc.

so when doing a decent ammount of torrenting on my server with about 300 or so connections, when i try to grab a file from the server on my main rig over JUST the gigabit switch, its either real slow, or is normal speed but then gets stopped halfway through.

it has nothing to do with the router or too many connections. it just seems like for what ever reason the torrenting protocol gets overall priority compared to the file sharing protocol.

is there any way to change priority of file sharing / torrenting. i am using utorrent.

Is the disk getting hammered? The problem probably isn't network related.

Without a switch to prioritize the traffic, you won't be able to do QoS.

Is the disk getting hammered? The problem probably isn't network related.

Without a switch to prioritize the traffic, you won't be able to do QoS.

naw.... only 15Mbit / s download... so its not gettin hammered to bad.

it just seems like your standard onboard gigabit nics cant handle heavy torrenting... AND gigabit trafic as well. so i just did another connection to the gigabit switch and go through that ip for all file sharing... walla no problems.

Disable checksum offloading in the NIC configuration. If there are a ton of very small packets, that is a lot of processing.

Yeah, you get this horrible problem where you can transfer more information! ;D

Yeah, you get this horrible problem where you can transfer more information! ;D

hahaha ok ill have to take a look at it then and see if that fixes my prob, and then maybe ill be able to go back to a more proper 1 connection from comp to network... unlike the two i got going on now.

It's just to ensure that the packet is accurately transmitted. If you disable it and don't see any performance issues then you should be golden.

Brian

Disabling checksum offloading causes your CPU to compute all TCP checksums. You will experience higher CPU usage and typically poorer performance by disabling this option. However, I'd imagine that if you have a poor quality network adapter (Realtek), leaving checksum computation tasks to your CPU could be beneficial. Otherwise leaving the option to its default is probably best; default settings are usually optimal settings when it comes to networking.

You can enable QoS on your server to give all traffic in your LAN higher priority on your server.

1) Open the Local Group Policy editor (Start->Run: gpedit.msc), and browse to Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Policy-based QoS

2) Right-click on Policy-based QoS and choose 'Advanced QoS settings'; 'select DSCP Marking Override', tick the check box and elect to Ignor DSCP marking requests from applications

3) Right-click Policy-based QoS and create a new rule. Follow the wizard and for the the DSCP value, choose a high number like 50 (no more than 63 though). You can leave this rule applied to all applications, but for the source and destination IP addresses, enter in the network address and network mask prefix in both fields (ie. 192.168.0.0/24). Select both TCP and UDP for the protocols.

Furthermore, if you wish your torrent traffic to have a higher priority over other miscellaneous traffic, create another rule applying it to your torrent program and assign the DSCP value to something lower than the first rule.

i will have to try all the suggestions here and see which one works the best.... like stated i have a backup plan of using two nics on the server connected to the network... one for wan use, the other for file transfers and that works but is not optimal.

unfortunately i have not had the time over the past couple of days due to school and work.

Back