• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What PSU for this build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xihurawa

I'm building a desktop but I seriously do not know what PSU to buy. Already bought everything else except the PSU. I'll try to be concise as possible.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67 B3

CPU: Core i7-2600k

Video Card: (2x) MSi N560GTX Ti/OC Twin Frozr II

RAM: (4x4) 16GB RipJaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800

HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black

SSD: Crucial M4 64GB

Blu-Ray Drives: LG Black

Fans: (1x) 50mm Evercool Fan
(7x) 120mm CoolerMaster Red LED Fan
(2x) 120mm Corsair Fan
(1x) 140mm CoolerMaster Fan
(1x) 230mm CoolerMaster Red LED Fan

Liquid Cooling: Corsair H100

PCI: Linksys Wireless-G Adapter

I'll most likely study the principles of overclocking and overclock the CPU. I'll also most likely get fan controllers and memory card readers.

EDIT: A friend of mine is willing to sell his Corsair TX850W for $80, should I buy it?

You could probably run it on a quality 650W. 750W would give you a little headroom and not stress the PSU as much.

That being said, you're not going to get a quality 650 or 750W for $80. Corsair PSUs are great and that's a downright AMAZING deal on a exceptional PSU, I'd take it in a heartbeat. You won't need another PSU for years.

Something has changed. I am going to opt instead for an XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 using 6 Scythe Gentle Typhoon on a Push/Pull system. Do you still think 850w would still suffice?

I think that if you want to go with watercooling, then you want a custom loop. No real point in getting one of the pre-made kits.

I'd use the H100 over a pre-made kit. It will be plenty for you. And yes, the HX850 for $80 is a steal, and more than you need.

H80 has also been tested on the front page, and was an exceptional performer. All the other all-in-one liquid coolers have been beaten by high-end air heatsinks for the same price. IMO go with the H80 or H100, but you don't need anything that powerful for a cool running processor like the 2600K.

I do not mean to be rude but is 850W still enough if I add 6 more fans and a pump?

Fans and pump are a negligible increase. The pump is maybe 10-30W while fans, vary significantly but are also generally low powered. You can see for yourself the exact increase by looking up the specs for the pump and fans.

A quality 750W PSU will be fine.

Apologies. For some reason, only the first part of your statement registered in my mine. BTW though, it's TX850; regardless, it's still a steal.

Back