• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good time to buy 6950 CF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhiskyJar

Registered
I currently run 5850 CF and contemplating on upgrading to the 6950 CF. All benchmark's I've read shows good performance increase, but wondering how long until the new 7000 series comes out and whether to wait or upgrade now.

If you are running games fine now, wait.

The midrange AMD cards are *reported* to be out 4Q 2011, with the performance line to follow.

That said. I would wait and look to a higher end single card if you are only rocking one monitor.

Almost in the same boat as you. I'm running one 5850 and I've been looking into buying two 6950s but with the end of the year coming and rumors of the 7000 series increasing I decided to wait. Probably a good idea since 1)If the 7000 series is too pricey for you i'd image the 6950 would have dropped by a good amount, and 2)The 7000 series might just destroy the 6000 cards.

Almost in the same boat as you. I'm running one 5850 and I've been looking into buying two 6950s but with the end of the year coming and rumors of the 7000 series increasing I decided to wait. Probably a good idea since 1)If the 7000 series is too pricey for you i'd image the 6950 would have dropped by a good amount, and 2)The 7000 series might just destroy the 6000 cards.

Well as expected with any new card, its gonna be faster than the predecessor, but question is, by how much. Also take into consideration, when the new cards come out limited stock and the whole "I don't wanna be the guinea pig for new tech" saying applies. So I think I'm gonna get the 6950 CF and enjoy the games now. :thup:

Even if you don't wanna be the guinea pig, the 6950 prices will probably drop dramatically by the time 7000's come out. Right now, even the used 6950's are selling about the same as the brand new ones. It's not really a good time to buy. I've been looking for a second one for a while...

GUinea pig ofr new tech? What is wrong with single GPU's? I can see that argument for crossfire/sli beacuse of a lack of profiles. But performance, even with immature drivers is still better, and will likel even improve a bit over time. I just dont understand that sentiment I suppose.

If you keep on waiting for the newest pc parts, you should know by now, you'll be waiting a while. Just have to bite the bullet.

If you keep on waiting for the newest pc parts, you should know by now, you'll be waiting a while. Just have to bite the bullet.

Yeah I hate the waiting game. I pondered getting the 6990 and crossfiring that down the line as another option

Yeah I hate the waiting game. I pondered getting the 6990 and crossfiring that down the line as another option

IMO it's the only bad thing about PC gaming(not even really a bad thing unless your personality likes to wait months), too many new options if you wait. If you can afford it, then just buy it, that should be the PC motto. Either 580 or 2x6950s should last you while until you'll need an upgrade. Personally 2x6950 for $500 that I OCd to 960 core and 1400 mem clock are amazing and I would do it again.

The 6990 crossfired would be sweet (except for the new PSU)!

With 6990, you really should have a monitor larger than 1920x1200it or its a waste of money....especially 2 of those.

I don't see the need to crossfire 2 6990's ever. I think i will buy a 2nd 6950 when the 7000 come out and only upgrade when we get to dx12.

Back