• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new case idea!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
well, me and my brother were just thinking, and we want to make a case, made out of carbon fiber. i looked around but could not find a place that sells it, do any of you know where i could get a sheet of this stuff? that would look so hardcore to have a case made out of this stuff, please help out, i know it will cost a fortune....but i will worry about that later

we are accepting corportate sponsors, loans, cash, checks, travlers checks, if any of you want to donate money, then email me at [email protected]

i will let you know that i have no intention of paying you back, but you will know that you have contributed to the coolest case ever made...thanks

Why don't you but the raw fabrick so you can create any shape you want. Amature rockety sometimes uses materials like this so you maight start looking there. Basically all you do is squeegie all the resin into the fabrick and let it cure. Its been a long time since I looked into this but at the time I found most weights of fabrick for $30 a square yard or kevlary 49 for $20 a square yard. There are some epoxies that work better than others for this aplication but I'll have to look into it again. A carbon and kevlar case would be even better looking. If you have something to form the fabrick around you won't be stuck with simple flat surfaces. You could even try using existing case parts just to mold the fabrick around. Once the composit is cured just remove the old case part. If you spend the hours reserching and gathering materials you can come up with a very professional looking case. People have made composite bike frames and rockets using this method so it can be done.

Here are some places I found. Its not cheep but it will make a nice case.

http://www.fibreglast.com/KevlarCarbonFiberPage.htm

http://www.plasticareinc.com/reinforcement_fabrics.htm

http://www.fiber-tek.com/materials.htm

This place has both carbon sheets and building supplys.

This place has hybrid fabrics!

By the way I have a Carbon fiber crank on my bike and the stuff rocks. I smack it against rocks and it doesn't scrach. Here is a how to on making a carbon bike frame. There are lots of sources at the bottom of the page that may interest you.

Bender said:
By the way I have a Carbon fiber crank on my bike and the stuff rocks. I smack it against rocks and it doesn't scrach. Here is a how to on making a carbon bike frame. There are lots of sources at the bottom of the page that may interest you. [/B]

What kind of bike do you ride bender? My cannondale will get here any day now... I'm so excited!

AMP reserch B3 Frame with risse Genesis rear shock
Rock Shox S.I.D fork with custom Englund Air cartriges
Rear wheel Mavick X517 rim, White Industries Speed Racer hub DT Revolution spokes, Panaracer Duster Pro Kevlar tire
Front wheel, Sun Sub IV rim, Nuke Proof Suprefly hub, DT revolution spokes, Panaracer Duster Pro kevlar tire.
Seat Bontrager Titanium with Kevlar cover
Seat Post Thomson Elite
Crank Nytex Carbon Fiber
Bottom Bracket Sampson Stratics Titanium
Pedals Bebop Stainless
Head Set Ritchey Fuzzy Logic
Head Set Cap Club Roost
Stem Control Tech
Handle Bar Easton Composite
Barends Specialized (chopped shorter)
Brake Levers Paul’s Love Levers
Chain Sachs pc61
Chain Rings Veluta, set of three
Cassette Shimano XT 11-28 tooth
Derailleur Front Shimano XT
Shifters Grip Shift X-Ray
Derailleur Rear Shimano XT

Weight = 21.6 lbs Wallet weight = 0 grams after $4000+ invested

There it is.
bike.jpg

Sweet, I don't know all the exact detail specs on my bike(It's not here yet). I bought it from a friend of mine.

It's a cannondale Super V800 w/ the Lefty front susension. I can't wait for it to get here. I used to ride a lot, but it's been a while so I want to get back in to it.

Back