• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Fried PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jaytee100

Registered
Is(was) my psu not powerful enough?? In addition to the specs in my sig. Also a front and rear low rpm fans. Can a fan controller be bad for a psu?? The controller nor the psu ever seem to heat up. PSU just up and died. CM is sending another, but should I be looking at one with more power??

Last edited:
Your PSU has more than enough power for your rig. Most of the Cooler Master power supplies are rather poor quality.

Is(was) my psu not powerful enough?? In addition to the specs in my sig I have 3 CM RS-4 fans hooked up to the fan controller. They were generally set 40% RPM's. Also a front and rear low rpm fans. Can a fan controller be bad for a psu?? The controller nor the psu ever seem to heat up. PSU just up and died. CM is sending another, but should I be looking at one with more power??

700W is a lot for your sig rig but with regards to PSUs, I don't consider Coolermaster a reliable brand. A good brand 650W PSU can easily juice up your rig hands down.

Yeah..thats the conclusion I have come too also. I figured with a 5 year warranty CM psu's would have been better.

Caps, chokes, FETS, every part in a PSU can fail, there is no perfect assembly line for every part. Things go bad. Cars, airplanes etc. Even the supreme solid state caps on the best mobos can give out. Of course, there are cap makers that have much higher fail rates, and ones with low fail rates. Which costs more to make? Thus increasing the cost of the end product?

Man, if all PSU's used NASA soldering specs.... Imagine that. $$$$$ and $$$

So it happens, but if it's in the 5Y window, no worries.

Back