• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Will Windows 8 PCs Lock Out Linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So what happens down the road a few years when oem built computers need hardware replacements,or a OS reloads and the original disks where not supplied? even upgrades.

Powersupplies,videocards hard drives get replace all the time by local company's with non OEM parts.

So what happens down the road a few years when oem built computers need hardware replacements,or a OS reloads and the original disks where not supplied? even upgrades
The solution the companies suggest is easy! Buy a new computer.

BAM, everyone wins. Wait, no we don't.

The solution the companies suggest is easy! Buy a new computer.

BAM, everyone wins. Wait, no we don't.

No but I am sure the MB manufacturers will have a swith or something to erase the settings.

EDIT: OEM boards are made somewhere and I would think that there would be a soft method used on non OEM products that would also be useful on OEM stuff.

Anywho.

Will Windows 8 PCs Lock Out Linux? article said:
So, why is this a problem? Well, an OEM computer with this configuration disallows any other OS from being loaded or booted, such as Linux. System builders and DIY folks need not worry, as this only pertains to the OEM machines. Even then, you may be able to call their tech support and obtain a work around, but we won’t know until the Windows 8 OEM PCs start shipping.

Perhaps I don't understand this. OEM machines (other than crap parts, crap bios, crapware and other crap) are still a PC and why would a BIOS reset not take care of issues? Will there be a write once chip on the board that can not be erased or replaced?

Last edited:
Except there are a few of us that wouldn't run Windows at all and this solution becomes a non-solution.

Well I got to ask, then why would you care about this at all? Sounds just like an OEM thing that could lock out other OS's. As long as the motherboard manufactures update firmware to include other OS's then it wouldn't make a difference.

Well I got to ask, then why would you care about this at all? Sounds just like an OEM thing that could lock out other OS's. As long as the motherboard manufactures update firmware to include other OS's then it wouldn't make a difference.
I care because I believe that my hardware should be my hardware and do what what I want with it. If it does get put onto systems in a way that can't be disabled in the BIOS, I'm sure Microsoft will pressure manufacturers that we buy from as well. If it is OEM systems only, I will still care when it comes time to replace my laptop.

I care because I believe that my hardware should be my hardware and do what what I want with it. If it does get put onto systems in a way that can't be disabled in the BIOS, I'm sure Microsoft will pressure manufacturers that we buy from as well. If it is OEM systems only, I will still care when it comes time to replace my laptop.

But heres the thing. The OEM boxes are generally sold on the cheap and the OS is included. You do not own the OS you are granted a 2nd hand license. All of the crap ware that is included on these systems helps offset the cost as well and can be a Royal PITFA to get rid of.

My point is MS has nothing to gain here. People that buy these systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.

If a person needs Linux they are either going to build their own box and if they want to upgrade they will scrap the POS OEM MB and OS and put a new board in. None of this will have any effect on high end users and this is much adieu about nothing.

So blame the OEMs not MS on this one.

That is certainly a different way of looking at it, but I still believe that having open hardware is a good thing.

My point is MS has nothing to gain here. People that buy these systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
This, on the other hand, is hilariously accurate.

That is certainly a different way of looking at it, but I still believe that having open hardware is a good thing.

Yeah and I think if they lock out alternate OS capability they will hurt themselves. I have picked up budget boxes in the past when it would meet my needs. This would make me just build the boxes for about the same price.

I also see a sig change for me.

lol @ sig Archer.

As far as locking stuff out, even if it were to happen, someone would figure it out and either design a variant of their favorite distro around it or manage to trick it in some way.

all in all i see this as a waste of time to even bother with since it is so easy to by-pass

Back