• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my power supply Dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elmoisabeast

Registered
I was playing crysis 1
then my screen suddenly went black
Now i cant even turn my computer on
At first my blue led fan in the front would flash on and then off
and then after turning my power supply on and off a couple times
it would do the same thing (and the other fans)
but now the fans dont even start up when i turn the computer on
i have a cx600 watt corsair power supply
Gtx 560 ti
Amd x4 840 oc 3.5
Hyper cooler 212+
m4a7xtd evo motherboard
4 gb g skill ram
asus cd drive
and 500 gb 7200rpm hdd
and only had the pc for a few months
wondering if its a dead power supply or dead mobo or dead something else for that matter

I am unsure of how much technical knowledge and equipment you have. Barring that, I will explain how to check the power supply and verify if it is dead or not. Or rule that issue out. This procedure can be done while the PSU is still mounted in the case, or taken out for easier troubleshooting.

Please note orientation of the connector, also pin colors (which represents the color of the wires) and placement of the pins (Top most left is pin 1, going downwards. To pin 12. Then the top most right pin is pin 13, going downward to pin 24.)

24-pin.jpg

Make sure the power supply is not plugged in, and nothing else is plugged into the power supply unit. Verify there is no connection to the outlet socket. You are working with electricity and can get hurt if your not safe.
If you notice the green pin 16 (PWR On). It is the power on line. Use a piece of wire, at least the same diameter as the power supply wires. Bridge that to a ground (GND) pin. Which will be black any pins 4, 6, 15...etc. This is how you jump the power supply manually.

Once you have a fan attached or something to show power is flowing like energy drinks at a LAN party.. Then plug in the power supply. If the fan comes on, the PSU is able to turn on and supply power to the fan..
Myself, I use a digital multimeter (DMM) instead of the simple fan power on test. Checking the 12v,5v and 3.3v rails. Selecting the DCV20 setting on the DMM.

Last edited:
Ok ill try this but another thing i forgot to say is when the power supply is plugged in and on the green light on my mobo is still on

If my psu really is dead would have gaming caused it or like a power surge or something
because i usually use a surgmaster power strip but i moved it to use it on my hd tv and i used a different power strip without and surge protection, also my mobo says it has powersurge protection

If i get a new powersupply it would be the gs600 or gs700 or a tx 750
I would prefer the gs600 or gs700 just cause its cheaper and i wouldnt have to use shipping cause it available at the best buy near me
but would the gs 600 be able to handle gtx 560 ti with sli and an overclocked i5 2500k (going to upgrade soon) i dont think it, would but would the gs700 handle it?

If i get a new powersupply it would be the gs600 or gs700 or a tx 750
I would prefer the gs600 or gs700 just cause its cheaper and i wouldnt have to use shipping cause it available at the best buy near me
but would the gs 600 be able to handle gtx 560 ti with sli and an overclocked i5 2500k (going to upgrade soon) i dont think it, would but would the gs700 handle it?

The GS series has lower-end components than the TX series, so while a GS700 should be able to handle a single 560ti and a 2500K, I wouldn't trust it to run SLI cards personally.

OK well i bought the gs600 for backup powersupply and then ill buy a tx750 when i go for sli and i5 2500k but will the gs600 handle i5 2500k and single gtx 560 ti

OK well i bought the gs600 for backup powersupply and then ill buy a tx750 when i go for sli and i5 2500k but will the gs600 handle i5 2500k and single gtx 560 ti
It has 56A on the 12V rail, so you should have no issues running those parts. :thup:

Back