• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

about capacitor aging...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raident30

can anyone explain to me on how to determine the capacitor aging of my PSU.. its 7 months old and i wanna know how many %(percent) should i put in a PSU calculator so that it would be more accurate in computing my PC's wattage...

it is some what hard to predict capacitor aging. since it is effected by how load the psu is, if it is loaded 24/7 and near say 90% load all the time. then you could expect to need a replacement in about 3-4yrs best guess here. since i ran a older ozc powerstream 520 for about 4yrs. started to have some odd problems here and there, so i thought i would clean it out. after opening it i could see the caps bulging so i off to tech support for an RMA since it was still under warranty. i started using that power supply when i bought the intel E6400 when it first came out with a abit p35-pro and 6800U. think it was around the time i went with a i7 920 setup when i did the rma.

if you could list all your parts, a suggestion on the psu can be made. i really dont trust the calcs for telling you what psu to get. i know there is one out there that can take into account cap aging but im not sure what method they use.

heres the part, you think this can work it out?

phenom ii x4 840
gtx560
4gb ddr3 1333 (2sticks)
2USB devices
4 120mm fans
1 dvd/cd rom combo burner
1 regular sata hdd
here is the PSU:
http://www.conversense.net/power-supply/24-fsp-super-sonic-500
its 7 months old already. do u think it can last until january or february until i got the money to buy a new one...

the PSU calc stated that i got 431w max with 20% capacitor aging at 90% load (381w minimum). if i remove the capacitor aging in the calc, all i got it 367w max with 90% load...

with your setup, i would guess that 2-3 yrs of usage at 90% would be about the time you need to replace it. to answer your question, yes it will last that long and longer.

Back