• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JutRutC4

Registered
Which memory would be best for intel core i5-2500 system, I know i prefer a 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 kit.
But i dont know which kit is best. If there is a site with good reviews feel free to provide a link.

Also in the future if i need to upgrade can i just add the same kit again to get 12B as long as my mobo has 4 slots?

Almost all new 2x4GB 1600/1800 kits are the same ( I mean like oc, chip quality etc ). If you want to keep them on standard 1600 CL8-8-8/ 9-9-9 then go for G.Skill RipjawsX/Sniper or Corsair Vengeance series that are also quite cheap.

Those are the exact ones i was looking at i was leaning toward corsair vengence or G.skill sniper mainly because they are black instead of blue or red. So there really isnt a best between the 3?

I have had great luck with G.Skill. I'm running 16GB at 1866Mhz and it can take more.

Those are the exact ones i was looking at i was leaning toward corsair vengence or G.skill sniper mainly because they are black instead of blue or red. So there really isnt a best between the 3?

G.Skills RipjawsX 1600 CL9 have black PCB :D ... but really I'm running 4x4GB of them without problems, CL8-8-7-24 timings on AMD board and I'm waiting for BD to check better memory controller as my Phenom is really weak and gives up somewhere near 1800.
You can also get Vengeance 1600 CL8 with black low profile hs ( I just don't like snipers hs :p ).
After browsing random tests of more popular 8/16GB 1600 kits with 4GB sticks I can only say that most of them are acting the same while oc so most are making 1600 8-9-8/8-8-8 up to 1866 9-10-9 on 1.5-1.65V. If you wish better kit like 2133 then you will have to pay much more but in real there is almost no performance gain in games etc so if you are not going to break world records then standard 1600 CL9 kit will be just right.

Back