• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Solved] 2 x 570 2.5GB vs 2 x 580 1.5GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lukee

So, for surround Gaming, 5760 x 1080, which would give you better FPS.

I read that the 580s struggle sometimes in this resolution because they are limited by the 1.5 GB memory.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi, I am currently running 580 Gtx's in SLI using 5760 x 1080 and using 3 x 3d monitors in full 3d and they smash it, and both cards are 1.5.

Probably could have asked this in your other thread...

1.5GB at that res could easily be gobbled up with excessive eye candy. Why not grab 2 3GB 580's?

Hi, I am currently running 580 Gtx's in SLI using 5760 x 1080 and using 3 x 3d monitors in full 3d and they smash it, and both cards are 1.5.
"Smash it"? Can you elaborate on that?

I have the same setup, but having really high temps playing Rift, non-3D. I have to crank up the fans to 90-95% and they are loud as heck.

As someone mentioned in another thread, I will move my 2nd card to my 3rd PCI slot and see how much that helps my temps.

Btw, what games are you running?

Probably could have asked this in your other thread...

1.5GB at that res could easily be gobbled up with excessive eye candy. Why not grab 2 3GB 580's?

"Smash it"? Can you elaborate on that?

I didn't ask it in the other thread because that was just me looking into replacing the 580 with an ATI setup.

I was looking into the 570s because if I sold my 580s, I could probably get the same amount of cash and it would be an even exchange. Almost.

With the 3GB 580s, I would probably have to dish out another $300 - 330.

Is that extra memory worth that premium?

I haven't even been able to OC my cards. I had a pretty good OC, but way too much heat.

I'm going to try moving the 2nd card and see how that works first.

Lukee running that res on 3d for Crysis 2 and Hard Reset

Earthdog, Smash it means run it with ease, without any problems, could probably do more

It really depends on what you are gaming on.
Some games you can run them fine without any performance loss, but once you start playing the higher end DX11 games with all eye candy up such as Metro 2033, even with 3GB version cards at that resolution you won't be able to play the game properly from suffering low FPS. You will be able to run the game opposed to when you had 1.5gb version failing to render. The benefits of having 3GB imo isn't worth it as just having the vram without the proper processing power to backup the vram is pointless.

Not very many games can saturate the 1.5gb vram anyways, and for people thinking about getting the 3gb to futureproof is also wrong as when games come out that will be able to saturate the 3gb vram their gpu's processing won't be able to keep up especially at those mentioned resolutions.

unless you plan on playing metro 2033 maxed out on three monitors you don't need more then 1.5gb vram on high end nVidia cards and even then the game isn't really playable on the 3gb sli setup either

d8d9bc94-e59c-496e-b941-43f3ea4b918f.jpg

Basically I would go for 580 1.5gb SLI over any other two gpu setup currently available if speed is a concern. The 3gb costs more and only is faster when the game is unplayable anyways.

Last edited:
Ok, a quick update. I replaced my fans with some nice red ones!! yay.

I moved the 2nd video card and noticed better temps. When I was done for the evening I realized that my side case fan wasn't on. Apparently, there was a cable up against is, so even without that airflow going into the case, the temps were better.

I'd like to thank you guys for the advice. I'll stick with my 1.5s.

Good to know.

You won't regret sticking with 1.5s as you will not see any difference with using 3gb.

I have the same setup, but having really high temps playing Rift, non-3D. I have to crank up the fans to 90-95% and they are loud as heck.

As someone mentioned in another thread, I will move my 2nd card to my 3rd PCI slot and see how much that helps my temps.

Btw, what games are you running?

My gtx580 runs at 55c at 1,000mhz core =p

Back