Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile

Overclockix Linux - OCF, lend us your skills!

Overclockix is our own awesome custom version of Linux that boots from USB or CD to run diagnostics, utilities, and other tools. It is useful for troubleshooting hardware problems, ruling out OS or driver issues, and much much more. To find more info on the basics, you may be interested in the Overclockix Master thread or the Overclockix homepage.

Overclockix is created by forum members just like yourself. As the saying goes, many hands make light work, and we could use your hands in various ways to help make Overclockix even better!

Overclockix Needs YOU!

Even if you haven't ever used Linux before, you can pitch in! We need graphics work, bitTorrent sharing, functionality testing, as well as coding contributions! Become part of the official Overclockix gang by going to the following link, and signing up to one of our Overclockix teams. Join one or as many as you like, and this lets us know you'd like to be involved, and how you'd like to help.

Once you've joined, we'll be communicating directly with team members to notify them of specific opportunities to pitch in! Do as much or as little as you like, as we appreciate any help you can offer. Also, reply below to say hey, let others know you've joined, or ask any questions you've got.
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; 10-04-11 at 02:50 PM.
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.
    The OC Forums Thank You Thread
    Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
    Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.

Gloriously Lead
    Overclockix Chief Architect
    10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Well I guess I'll join this project... seems like a worthy cause

I really am looking forward to getting the community more involved with this as that was what I was really hoping for when I originally start working on Overclockix.
    13" macbook pro (retina, early 2015) -- intel i7-5557u -- 2 x 8gb ddr3 -- intel iris graphics 6100 -- os x yosemite
    intel i5-750 -- msi p55-gd65 -- 4 x 4gb ddr3 1600 -- evga gtx 960 ssc 4gb -- silverstone gd09b -- ocz fatal1ty 750w -- windows 8.1 x64
    intel i5-3330 -- msi z77a-gd65 -- 4 x 8gb ddr3 1600 -- intel hd graphics 2500 -- fractal design define r4 black -- debian wheezy amd64

forum rules | overclockix | overclockers geforce survey | mbentley.net

Heatware Profile
    I have just requested to join the Overclockix Distro Team.

I am have been seeding, already, I am able to help with the odd shell script if needed.

I will also apply for the Overclockix Quality Team I will be able to do testing and give feedback. I'm not good with graphical stuff so I wont be any use with logos etc

edit: I think we need to get a logo/banner made up like the f@h and other teams have under members usernames as it may attract other members.
    Last edited by markp1989; 10-01-11 at 09:47 AM.

ASCII Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile
    I'll join up. I've already helped with some artwork. basically i'll help however i can.
    ______________________________/\/\__________________/\/\_____
    _______/\/\/\/\__/\/\/\/\____/\/\____/\/\/\______/\/\/\/\/\__
    ____/\/\/\/\____/\/\__/\/\__/\/\________/\/\______/\/\_______
    _________/\/\__/\/\/\/\____/\/\____/\/\/\/\______/\/\________
    __/\/\/\/\____/\/\________/\/\/\__/\/\/\/\/\____/\/\/\_______
    _____________/\/\___________
    once you clock you can't go stock
    [RHCSA, RHCE] || articles || folding stats || overclockers last.fm group

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior
    Alt OS Content Editor
    10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Joined and ready to add some python programs.

I think this nmap program I am making would be a good addition.

I plan on adding features that allow you to select the nmap flags, whether or not to do a "permanent" (database add) or a "run-once" option
    HEAT
    Those wishing to contribute to the AltOS section front page please PM me.

Leviathan41: "Playing with a controller because the mouse and keyboard is too easy is like racing with a bicycle because a car is too fast."

Chris Fisher "Windows is like Administration with training wheels"

Gloriously Lead
    10 Year Badge
    I look forward to checking that out
    13" macbook pro (retina, early 2015) -- intel i7-5557u -- 2 x 8gb ddr3 -- intel iris graphics 6100 -- os x yosemite
    intel i5-750 -- msi p55-gd65 -- 4 x 4gb ddr3 1600 -- evga gtx 960 ssc 4gb -- silverstone gd09b -- ocz fatal1ty 750w -- windows 8.1 x64
    intel i5-3330 -- msi z77a-gd65 -- 4 x 8gb ddr3 1600 -- intel hd graphics 2500 -- fractal design define r4 black -- debian wheezy amd64

Alt OS Content Editor
    10 Year Badge
    you can check it out in the programming section or in /bin here in the altOS.

I am constantly tweaking it
    HEAT

Leviathan41: "Playing with a controller because the mouse and keyboard is too easy is like racing with a bicycle because a car is too fast."

Alt OS Content Editor
    10 Year Badge
    I wrote a front end for aptitude would you be interested in using this?
    basically, you enter your search terms, and it uses aptitude search, places them in the field and then you highlight the package you want and click install. Then it asks for your password and installs the package

EDIT: Updated the UI
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Stratus_ss; 10-03-11 at 04:00 PM.
    HEAT

9. Thanks!

markp1989 (10-03-11)

Gloriously Lead
    10 Year Badge
    That's very cool! That would be a nice alternative to the heavier synaptic package manager. Does it have any sort of dependencies that would have to be resolved to work or does it just work with aptitude?

Alt OS Content Editor
    10 Year Badge
    Its just python, pygtk and aptitude

p.s. in the screen shot i searched "eog"

as for light weight, its 30 kb with the icons (128x128). Pathing would have to be changed because right now it looks for the icons in the CWD and its temp files also get dumped there (it cleans up on exit)

Its currently a "select one" model but could easily be converted to a multi-select
    Last edited by Stratus_ss; 10-02-11 at 10:11 PM.
    HEAT

Benching Profile
    Would love to help out where I can. At the very least I can seed and qa for y'all
    Last edited by nooster; 10-03-11 at 06:54 AM.
    NZXT Switch 810 - Asus MFVI - i7 4770K - Corsair Vengance C8 16Gb - Corsair HX1050w - GTX 670 sli - Full Custom WC loop

Benching Profile
    Ive applied to join the quality team, my home server runs almost 24/7 so i can happily seed for you guys, also i can help out with some testing here and there, not a pro with linux, but i know my way around it.
    Daily Rig // i5 2500K @4.5ghz 1.34v // Asus P8Z68-v Pro // 8GB Samsung Green Ram 1866mhz // H100/CoolerMaster Fans // Samsung BluRay Reader // MSI Power Edition gtx670 oc // 2TB Spinpoint F4 (storage), 750GB Spinpoint F3 (Games & Apps) // Crucial m4 128GB (Boot Win8 w/ mods) //
    Laptop/HP pavilion DV6 // AMD turion 2.3Ghz // 4GB corsair Vengeance // AMD HD5470 // 500GB Spinpoint M8 // WIN7
    LanRig/Personal Server/Htpc // Pentium G850 @ 3ghz // MSI Z68A-G43 // Corsair XMS3 4Gb 1600Mhz & 8Gb Corsair Vengeance (2 x 4GB 1600) // Stock Cooler // Samsung DVD Writer // MSI Cyclone gtx 460 1Gb // WD Blue & Green 250 GB drives //

Open Acrylic Bench/HTPC -- MY OLD CM690 --Super Clean htpc/lan rig/ personal Server [WIP]--
    Steam = Jameseboy57 Origin = jameseboy57

10 Year Badge
    Great, thanks guys. Everyone who applied has been approved now!

If you have any questions, need help setting up the torrents, or otherwise just let me know. Try to download the new versions as they are released, and let us know of any problems or improvements you may suggest.
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.

Seņor Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Joined the Quality Team and will do testing, some artwork and...
    ihrsetrdr aka Tim

Main Desktop: Asrock 79 ext4 | Intel Xeon E2650 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Fedora 25 Workstation
    Folding rig: GA-78LMT-S2 | Phenom II X4 965 | GTX 970 | 4GB DDR3 | Windows 7 Pro

Be strong when you are weak, brave when you are scared, and humble when you are victorious.
    - Unknown

Captain Random
    Senior Evil Genius

10 Year Badge
    Whoa, whoa, whoa...

Now just what is going on here? You are reviving my modified Knoppix distribution? Seems like maybe I should get involved then.
    Folding.for.team.32.as.OC3d!
    i5 3570 @ 4.5 | 8GB | SSD | 5-disk Raid 0 | 660 Ti
    Folding User Stats

10 Year Badge
    Holy crap, we've brought him back! Hoorah!

Would love it if you can get involved Arkaine. What have you been up to? You don't call, you don't write... I get cold at night you know! But seriously, I had sent you some emails, not sure if your forum email address works any more or if they got lost.

Anyways, we've restarted Overclockix so to speak, but its a fresh start. The site is located here:
    http://overclockix.com

And here's the introduction of whats going on:
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...t=671690#about
    The OC Forums Way

Captain Random
    Senior Evil Genius

10 Year Badge
    It's been awhile. I've missed ocforums and linux!!! I've been engineering OS X images lately, so I still know the cli and how to write scripts.
    Folding.for.team.32.as.OC3d!
    i5 3570 @ 4.5 | 8GB | SSD | 5-disk Raid 0 | 660 Ti
    Folding User Stats

19. Thanks!

I.M.O.G. (10-03-11)

Benching Profile
    My server is now torrenting all the torrents from overclockix.com. it shall be seeding them almost 24/7 apart from whilst im gaming.
    Daily Rig // i5 2500K @4.5ghz 1.34v // Asus P8Z68-v Pro // 8GB Samsung Green Ram 1866mhz // H100/CoolerMaster Fans // Samsung BluRay Reader // MSI Power Edition gtx670 oc // 2TB Spinpoint F4 (storage), 750GB Spinpoint F3 (Games & Apps) // Crucial m4 128GB (Boot Win8 w/ mods) //
    Laptop/HP pavilion DV6 // AMD turion 2.3Ghz // 4GB corsair Vengeance // AMD HD5470 // 500GB Spinpoint M8 // WIN7
    LanRig/Personal Server/Htpc // Pentium G850 @ 3ghz // MSI Z68A-G43 // Corsair XMS3 4Gb 1600Mhz & 8Gb Corsair Vengeance (2 x 4GB 1600) // Stock Cooler // Samsung DVD Writer // MSI Cyclone gtx 460 1Gb // WD Blue & Green 250 GB drives //

Open Acrylic Bench/HTPC -- MY OLD CM690 --Super Clean htpc/lan rig/ personal Server [WIP]--
    Steam = Jameseboy57 Origin = jameseboy57

Gloriously Lead
    10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkaine23 View Post
    It's been awhile. I've missed ocforums and linux!!! I've been engineering OS X images lately, so I still know the cli and how to write scripts.
    Good to see a old yet familiar name back around here Hopefully we didn't stomp on your turf too much by remaking Overclockix. It's been a lot of fun for me while being quite a learning process.

Gloriously Lead
    10 Year Badge
    Stratus_ss - looking at the installer, I am not sure if I will be able to include that as is since the live user's home directory doesn't exist until runtime. Would it be possible to get it to install and run from /opt/<app_dir>? I hate to make a mess of your application but pre-creating the live user's home directory isn't a very good option as it has the potential to break the user creation process and cause future problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast