• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Overclockix Linux - OCF, lend us your skills!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Overclockix is our own awesome custom version of Linux that boots from USB or CD to run diagnostics, utilities, and other tools. It is useful for troubleshooting hardware problems, ruling out OS or driver issues, and much much more. To find more info on the basics, you may be interested in the Overclockix Master thread or the Overclockix homepage.

Overclockix is created by forum members just like yourself. As the saying goes, many hands make light work, and we could use your hands in various ways to help make Overclockix even better!

Overclockix Needs YOU!

Even if you haven't ever used Linux before, you can pitch in! We need graphics work, bitTorrent sharing, functionality testing, as well as coding contributions! Become part of the official Overclockix gang by going to the following link, and signing up to one of our Overclockix teams. Join one or as many as you like, and this lets us know you'd like to be involved, and how you'd like to help.

Once you've joined, we'll be communicating directly with team members to notify them of specific opportunities to pitch in! Do as much or as little as you like, as we appreciate any help you can offer. Also, reply below to say hey, let others know you've joined, or ask any questions you've got. :salute:

Last edited:
Well I guess I'll join this project... seems like a worthy cause :p

I really am looking forward to getting the community more involved with this as that was what I was really hoping for when I originally start working on Overclockix.

I have just requested to join the Overclockix Distro Team.

I am have been seeding, already, I am able to help with the odd shell script if needed.

I will also apply for the Overclockix Quality Team I will be able to do testing and give feedback. I'm not good with graphical stuff so I wont be any use with logos etc

edit: I think we need to get a logo/banner made up like the f@h and other teams have under members usernames as it may attract other members.

Last edited:
I'll join up. I've already helped with some artwork. basically i'll help however i can.

Joined and ready to add some python programs.

I think this nmap program I am making would be a good addition.

I plan on adding features that allow you to select the nmap flags, whether or not to do a "permanent" (database add) or a "run-once" option

you can check it out in the programming section or in /bin here in the altOS.

I am constantly tweaking it

I wrote a front end for aptitude would you be interested in using this?
basically, you enter your search terms, and it uses aptitude search, places them in the field and then you highlight the package you want and click install. Then it asks for your password and installs the package

EDIT: Updated the UI

Attachments

• search.png
    search.png
    9 KB · Views: 227
  • aptitude.png
    aptitude.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
That's very cool! That would be a nice alternative to the heavier synaptic package manager. Does it have any sort of dependencies that would have to be resolved to work or does it just work with aptitude?

Its just python, pygtk and aptitude

p.s. in the screen shot i searched "eog"

as for light weight, its 30 kb with the icons (128x128). Pathing would have to be changed because right now it looks for the icons in the CWD and its temp files also get dumped there (it cleans up on exit)

Its currently a "select one" model but could easily be converted to a multi-select

Last edited:
Ive applied to join the quality team, my home server runs almost 24/7 so i can happily seed for you guys, also i can help out with some testing here and there, not a pro with linux, but i know my way around it.

Great, thanks guys. Everyone who applied has been approved now!

If you have any questions, need help setting up the torrents, or otherwise just let me know. Try to download the new versions as they are released, and let us know of any problems or improvements you may suggest. :thup:

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

Now just what is going on here? You are reviving my modified Knoppix distribution? Seems like maybe I should get involved then.

Holy crap, we've brought him back! Hoorah! :rock:

Would love it if you can get involved Arkaine. What have you been up to? You don't call, you don't write... I get cold at night you know! But seriously, I had sent you some emails, not sure if your forum email address works any more or if they got lost. :)

Anyways, we've restarted Overclockix so to speak, but its a fresh start. The site is located here:
http://overclockix.com

And here's the introduction of whats going on:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671690#about

It's been awhile. I've missed ocforums and linux!!! I've been engineering OS X images lately, so I still know the cli and how to write scripts.

It's been awhile. I've missed ocforums and linux!!! I've been engineering OS X images lately, so I still know the cli and how to write scripts.

Good to see a old yet familiar name back around here :) Hopefully we didn't stomp on your turf too much by remaking Overclockix. It's been a lot of fun for me while being quite a learning process.

Stratus_ss - looking at the installer, I am not sure if I will be able to include that as is since the live user's home directory doesn't exist until runtime. Would it be possible to get it to install and run from /opt/<app_dir>? I hate to make a mess of your application but pre-creating the live user's home directory isn't a very good option as it has the potential to break the user creation process and cause future problems.

Back