• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Input and Ideas.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KyoKris

Registered
first off, i would like to say iv been a long time reader but only recently joined and started to post....

So im going to start my first water cooling loop soon and would like ideas and input on what i am doing.

first off what i am running and what i plan to do.
currently i have

Case: Obsidian 800d
Cpu: i7 2600k OC to 4.6 with Air cooling (plan to OC 4.9-5 with Water cooling)
Gpu: GTX 580 Direct CU II (plan to OC to 900ish with water cooling)
PSU: Antec 900watt gamer edition.
2x120 agilty3 SSD Raid0

the Plan/ Loop
to run a 3x 120mm rad on the top of my case with 6 Scythe Gentle Typhoon in a push pull configuration, out to the Cpu, then onto the GPU, up to the res/pump then back to the Rad.

im going with 1/2" ID tubing and just a distilled water with LIQUID UTOPIA 15ML (cuz i cant find any PT nuke in Australia) mix for coolant.

1st off, i do plan to run a 2nd 580 in a few months and then add a 140mm Rad to the loop.

2nd do you guys think one loop is enough or should i run 2 loops with 2 pumps/res or one loop with a 2 pumps/res?

as this is my first water cooling system i would like to get it right :)

You spend a week with our WC stickies up top?

And this fun batch of helpful links?

You'll learn a ton like so fast, but don't rush it.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Good start, keep at it. Pay attention to your planned heatload later. A 140x1 for a 580? Hmm, prolly not. And hopefully your chip will go to 5.0 wthout crazy voltages, which means LOTS of wattage. Adjust accordinly on your cooling setup.

3x120mm rad with CPU and one 580 in temps are not going to be much better than air I wouldnt imagine. Thats a lot of heatdump in a small rad. I would want 3x120 and 2x120 at for that. That setup could also support another 580, though temps wouldnt be that great.

You spend a week with our WC stickies up top?

And this fun batch of helpful links?

You'll learn a ton like so fast, but don't rush it.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Good start, keep at it. Pay attention to your planned heatload later. A 140x1 for a 580? Hmm, prolly not. And hopefully your chip will go to 5.0 wthout crazy voltages, which means LOTS of wattage. Adjust accordinly on your cooling setup.

awesome, lots of reading ahead of me hahaha
iv been playing with the idea for some time and going to commit i just dont know what parts to get and i want silent with performance soooo yea...
cheers for the links :)

once if got my cooling down pact ill look into stable speeds for my cpu if i dont get it too 5.0 i wont be mad its just a mark i guess lol.

im thinking about getting a better psu with my 2nd 580 but thats next year soooo yeah...

3x120mm rad with CPU and one 580 in temps are not going to be much better than air I wouldnt imagine. Thats a lot of heatdump in a small rad. I would want 3x120 and 2x120 at for that. That setup could also support another 580, though temps wouldnt be that great.

I have a zalman cnps11x cpu cooling and stock on my 580. just running BF3 for the past 3 hours my max temp on cpu was 68 and GPU was 63, id hope to get better temps than that with just the set up posted....?

well im goingt to start with the single 120mm rad, i could add or start with a 2nd 120mm in the bottom of my case...

i want to achieve 2 things from water cooling, 1. better temps when OC and amazing look to my case :D
thanks again for the input.

You likely will, but not sure by how much. 3x120mm is for CPU only to me. I guess in my water I go big or go home. A 2x120 would be acceptable for CPU only....for me.

I have a 3x120mm and PA120.2 for CPU/GPU setup and it worked VERY well. GPU never broke 45C and CPU at my daily clocks, didnt break 60C. Im sure you can use the single rad for CPU/GPU and get better temps than most air (especially on the GPU), but for 2 580's you would need another 2x120mm rad IMO.

Just a note here, that's a non-reference 580, what block were you planning on using for it?

You likely will, but not sure by how much. 3x120mm is for CPU only to me. I guess in my water I go big or go home. A 2x120 would be acceptable for CPU only....for me.

I have a 3x120mm and PA120.2 for CPU/GPU setup and it worked VERY well. GPU never broke 45C and CPU at my daily clocks, didnt break 60C. Im sure you can use the single rad for CPU/GPU and get better temps than most air (especially on the GPU), but for 2 580's you would need another 2x120mm rad IMO.

I will most definitely will add another Rad to the mix when i add a 2nd 580, maybe it might be best just to add it to the loop straight away, or fun 2 loops....?

thanks again for the input :)

Just a note here, that's a non-reference 580, what block were you planning on using for it?

this is the water block i plan on using..

EK Full Cover VGA Block EK-FC580 DCII Acetal+EN Nickel

link: http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/b...-series/ek-fc580-dcii-acetal-en-nickel-1.html

Back