• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI 5970 Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^ well put, Dave I would suggest to you what I did. Replace the thermal paste(if you haven't already) with some high performance stuff and change the fan profile so it runs a bit above stock settings (30-35%) the change is sound is negligible and the card runs much cooler.

Thanks for the insight mud. I appreciate it. Would this idea be feasible if I were to purchase a heatpipe heatsink? Maybe something along the likes of this?

Pwnmachine - How much of a temperature drop did you see changing out the thermal paste? I have some MX-2 here I guess I could use. I just gotta think about where to apply it all - the cores, the PLX chip, the VRMs, RAM, etc.

For the VRM, PLX, and RAM chips you'd need to use the thermal pads with stock cooling as there's space between the cooler and the chips. You'd only replace the TIM on the GPU cores themselves.

If you were using aftermarket you'd use thermal adhesive or good thermal tape (IE sekisui) on the other chips in combination with copper/aluminum heatsinks.

I wonder if you could use an HR-03GT on each core along with heatsinks on the chips? Not sure if they'd keep up with the heatload though or if there's clearance for the heatpipes.

Last edited:
For the VRM, PLX, and RAM chips you'd need to use the thermal pads with stock cooling as there's space between the cooler and the chips. You'd only replace the TIM on the GPU cores themselves.

If you were using aftermarket you'd use thermal adhesive or good thermal tape (IE sekisui) on the other chips in combination with copper/aluminum heatsinks.

I wonder if you could use an HR-03GT on each core along with heatsinks on the chips? Not sure if they'd keep up with the heatload though or if there's clearance for the heatpipes.

^^ This is what I did, AS only on the 2 cores.

As for the HR03, I have one and it is just wayy to big to be able to fit two on the card. The one on my 260 barley has enough room as it is.
Unless you were able to figure out some opposite mount scheme(one mounted facing down, another facing up) the only way I see that working is if you had a small cpu HS and a low profile SB.

^^^
That's kinda what I was thinking with one being upside down. When I briefly played with dual 4870's I had them setup with HR-03GT/HR-03's in that mounting setup.

With the 5970 though I doubt there would be enough clearance for the heatpipes, and it would end up taking up like 5 slots (which is partially why I dropped back to single cards).

Back