• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Telling if Xfire is working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ronbert

So I'll just admit it, I don't know much about running crossfire so I'm wondering how do I tell exactly if both cards are being taken advantage of in games?

I've been playing BF3 beta and it seems to be working nicely but now and then I dip to 45-60fps on Ultra with no AA and No HBAO. I have gpu-z and I log the sessions and when I check them out after a gaming session it shows the average of card one being about 85-91% and card two being 25%, I just assume since the other card is being used over 5% xfire is doing it's job?

I figure that BF3 Beta isn't really configured for crossfire seeing as how it's still in the Beta stage but I thought I'd get a second opinion, also did THIS little trick but I'm not noticing much of a difference.

Also I generally don't do this but I'm asking a 2-fer here... When I reinstall AMD drivers from scratch after driver sweep my screen always has a black border and I have to hit the AMD Control Center's Overscan switch to fix it, what's the deal there?

As always thanks for help guys! :thup:

That article talks about using 11.8 caps... The 11.10 preview driver is not intended to be used with any CAP (at least not until newer caps are released).

Installing an old CAP on top of 11.10 is going to negate the tweaks they put into that driver for BF3 in the first place. Have you been using old caps?

I'm seeing 85%+ usage on all 4 of my GPUs in BF3. I run at High settings @ 1080P with 12x CFAA and my FPS rarely dips below 85. 11.10 preview driver, no caps.

Also I generally don't do this but I'm asking a 2-fer here... When I reinstall AMD drivers from scratch after driver sweep my screen always has a black border and I have to hit the AMD Control Center's Overscan switch to fix it, what's the deal there?

This is with DVI, VGA, HDMI, or what? Is it displaying at the correct resolution despite the black border?

What happens when you right-click on your desktop, go to Screen Resolution, and click Detect? You might give that a shot next time.

This is with DVI, VGA, HDMI, or what? Is it displaying at the correct resolution despite the black border?

What happens when you right-click on your desktop, go to Screen Resolution, and click Detect? You might give that a shot next time.

HDMI, Display resolution is correct, and when clicking detect it does nothing but show me that my monitor is monitor number one. So I've given it more than a few shots :)
For the driver thing, that was complete lack of research on my part, I'm gonna driver sweep things to get a fresh start. Thanks for the info :thup:

Last edited:
Im having the same problem here with 2 6970's, still havent found a solution though.

One card is at 80-96% and the other has seen a max of 13%. Doesnt seem to be a cpu bottleneck as the cpu stays around 60-70% useage.

Running on ultra with 4x msaa in game but supersample selected in the ccc.

If it helps you any im running 11.7 drivers. Just made resolution 1080p and same results. Fps dropped to a constant 50-60 range on the section with the first 2 mcoms. Card one stayed at 98%, card 2 was at 8-12%. Both cards are functioning because when running a benchmark,burnin,etc they both max out. So it makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
I'm actually wondering if maybe my cpu is being bottle necked by the two 6950's... I'll check the link out.

EDIT: Checked link out that's actually were I got the 10.11 preview, thanks though! Checked my cores my 955BE just is to overwhelmed with 2x6950's time for some OC I guess.

Last edited:
Figured it out, thanks to another guy on these forums. You need to run full screen vs the windowed.

When youre in game hit alt + enter. You have to be in game actually playing to do it. It wont work while the game is loading and such.

Happy news! Overclocked my cpu today to 3.6Ghz (I'll be going higher soon!) and when I played BF3 today I set GPUZ to measure max load on both cards, after about 1hr of playing both cards bottomed out at 68% :)

Back