• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what'e wrong with my CPU? Hang at 42C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soil

The setup is as the sig. Under stress tests like Toast, HotCPU Tester or CPU Stability Test, the chip idled at 34C and hanged at 42C. Opening the case, idle temp dropped to 28C but under stress tests it hanged at 36C! Apparently if watching TV (50% CPU load) it did not hang at 42C.

Another apparent evidence about its low temp tolerance is that if I don't use thermal paste it can't boot and return BSOD after entering Windows, even w/o case cover. (Can post).

And also if the FSB increase from 133 to 134 the idle temp increases by 2C!

I am thinking of putting in a TEC on hand (need to get a cold plate, a shim and foam though) and add 0.05V to Vcore...anything else I can do?

Last edited:
ALWAYS use thermal paste. If you don't, the cooling will be ineffective no matter what you use, be it a peltier or a Gorb or even stock cooling.

Yes, I'd add some VCore. Those temps certainly shouldn't hang up a system, and by how you describe it with hanging only on 100% CPU load... it sounds like a VCore problem to me. Adding the TEC will help, too.

if the temps droped that drasticly just by opening up the case then i would say that you need better airflow through the case... no matter how good the heatsink you have if your just blowing hot air onto the heatsink it won't help.

drdingo21 said:
if the temps droped that drasticly just by opening up the case then i would say that you need better airflow through the case... no matter how good the heatsink you have if your just blowing hot air onto the heatsink it won't help.

yes...I hate fan noise...so after that I drilled 20 1.5cm holes in the case cover, I use desktop case BTW:D , but it still idles at 34C...but that night getting 28C was a bit cold

Back