• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The run for #1!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muddocktor

Retired
With the 2 ahead of me down or moved to another project, I have all my systems up and crunching Rosetta right now. I'm looking for #1 on the team and I hope to have it in another month or less. I even have my heatsink test system crunching while not actively testing a heatsink.:D

And boy, these Core isomethingmeaningless procs can crunch em like they stole them. Even my 2500k system looks to be smoking the old QX9650 system in production and the 2600k bad boys are both around 6k rac each. I have 3 systems in the top 50 of the project as well as being on the first page in total rac production.

The only down side is that I will be shutting some systems down later on, as the electric bill is suffering again, as well as my wallet.:cry:

Good luck on your run for #1 Mudd :clap:

The only down side is that I will be shutting some systems down later on, as the electric bill is suffering again, as well as my wallet.:cry:

Hear ya there......I think all our dc team members feel your pain. :rain:

Very nice. Best of best to your #1.

How long did it take to achieve? How many nuclear reactors did they have to build for your systems?

Thanks guys. :salute:

Yeah, you folding guys know all about paying for nuclear reactors with your farm, for sure!:rofl: I figure that when I have all systems running it adds at least $150 more a month to the electric bill. After all, it's not just powering the farm, but also keeping the room cool too that is the problem. Down here in LA you really can't run without having a dedicated AC unit in the computer room when DC'ing. And in the last year I figure that I have streamlined and saved a bit of power consumption by upgrading the farm to 1st and 2nd gen Core i whatevers from Core 2 Quads and Duo and AMD systems. My 2600k machines put out roughly twice the RAC for a little less power usage than my old QX9650 and even more from the old Q6600 crunchers I had running. As for how long, well it's been a few years at least since I really got into Rosetta. With Rosetta, it is all about cpu power as the program has no gpu type work.

After all, it's not just powering the farm, but also keeping the room cool too that is the problem. Down here in LA you really can't run without having a dedicated AC unit in the computer room when DC'ing.

I am fortunate that i am able to fold without having to also run a dedicated AC unit...........

I too have got a nice boost from switching the farm over to 2600K's. In my case it was from i7 920's.

Noticed a drop in power usage and heat but more ppd.......Win-Win :cool:

Yeah, a definite gain in PPD and less power to run the 2600k/2500k systems. But for sheer crunching power they still lag the 980X. Those 32nm hex core beasts can really crank out the work. Mine is presently sitting in the #6 spot in the whole project. And that is competing against dual processor and quad proc workstations too. And my 2 2600k machines are also in the top 25 project wide.:cool:

I'm working at it guys. But I sold off my Mac Mini today and my test rig is presently down right now. I'm having intermittent motherboard issues with it and need to finish off testing a heatsink before the bastard croaks, so I am limiting it's use right now. That damn P6T has gotten unstable on vcore, which is also hampering any testing too. Luckily the heatsink I am presently testing has a proprietary fan, so I don't have to go through my normal testing regime of 3 remounts with 5-6 fan configurations with it. I have a replacement motherboard that came in yesterday (Rampage II Extreme), but will have to check temps with it with a known good heatsink run to make sure the different motherboard doesn't affect temps to any meaningful degree. I also had to replace the vid card in that test system too. I am wondering if that was a coincidence or if it has something to do with the mobo getting weird. At least the vid card was a 5 year old eVGA card with a lifetime warranty, which I am in the process of getting RMA'ed right now.

Big up's to all members trying to hit personal goals. This amongst many other things is what makes this team a force to be reckoned with.
Good on ya!

PS: luv ya mud! In a purely heatsinky, overclocky kind of way. lol. :p

Wow, and I didn't even notice it until you posted, PolRoger. Finally, after all those kilowatt-hours of energy used, I break the 10 million mark!:D

Congrats Mudd. I'm trying to imagine how much maintenance, beyond the KwHrs, has been involved, both hardware and time, in hitting the mark. Remarkable.......

Thanks guys.

Robert17, the maintenance actually isn't too bad on my systems. Of the 5 desktop system I have crunching, 3 are watercooled, which I personally don't find hard to maintain. I clean the rads and change the coolant around every 8 months or so and since I used quality pumps and good tubing, that's about all there is to maintaining them. Of the other 2 desktop systems, 1 is my heatsink test rig so it's always cleaned out and ready to go. The other is a 2500k system that has a copper TRUE on it, which gives plenty of reserve cooling power to account for dirt and dust buildup without seeing temps climb through the roof. You also have to remember that I keep on running Rosetta when I go to the rig offshore, so I have to make the systems as reliable as possible. And that is a big reason why I switched from F@H back in the day too. The high point clients were buggy as hell and unreliable at best and the reliable clients didn't give crap for points, meaning to me that F@H didn't consider my contribution to their project very significant or important. So I switched to Seti first, then came over to here to the Rosetta project and started contributing to another project related to the exploration of protein folding.

Back