• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Antec 500 Watt as a stand in.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kado

So my XFX 850 watt PSU decided to bit the bucket today. I do have a spare PSU. But its a 500 Watt Antec (brand new). This will only be a temp fix until i get a new PSU or get this one through an RMA process.
So here is my current set up with Antec installed
MSI 890FXA-GD65
8gb G-skill DDR3 1333Mhz 7-7-7-21 stock
Phenom IIx4 970 3.4Ghz stock
single HIS 6870 x IcyQ x
Western Digital Caviar 500gb
Corsair H60
4 120mm case fans
1 140mm top case fan
I have ran this through a few online PSU calculators and it says it will run my machine. But i would like to ask you guys because i like to get more feedback before risking my system to this little PSU.

About what i figured as well. ditched the second video card for now. Also decided to buy a new power supply. So when i the XFX 850 watt finally gets fixed then i will have a power supply already for my next build.

Yeah, adding another HD6870 would bump it up to around 450W with everything at stock. Even CFX should work at stock, but it might be pushing it when the CPU and GPUs are heavily loaded and/or overclocked.

Yeah, i know the new 900 watt PSU is a bit overkill at the moment. But i do plan to do a major upgrade in the future and the extra power will come in handy.

Back